FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any tips to make this effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matt chapman
Any tips to make this effect?
on May 10, 2017 at 6:41:02 pm

Hey all-
I'm half way through trying to re-create this effect, as I have a pre-rendered version of it from a client but it is not long enough to cover the time I need (and looks bad slowed down).

https://vimeo.com/216890408

I've gotten pretty decent results manipulating shape layers, but haven't been able to make it seem quite as "coming at you" as I'd like. That is to say, my results so far feel like they are extended stars rather than lasers shooting from a central point, and aren't quite as random. I know I will need to add the glow and some blur.

MINE (Work In Progress): https://vimeo.com/216891808

Seems like I should add a bulge to the outer edge of it, but it still doesn't quite some out right.

Any tips?

Thanks

Chapman

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Any tips to make this effect?
on May 10, 2017 at 7:05:47 pm

Try the Optics Compensation effect. Tick the "Reverse Lens Distortion" box and set the value reasonably high, 100+. You can animate it up to create a growing sense of reach.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on May 11, 2017 at 9:04:20 am

Copy the initial animation using shape layers to create the basic shapes. Precompose and apply Time Remap on the precomp. Stretch to desired length and apply effects (glow... etc). This way you get the same animation with a longer time, smooth and not jittery because AE can now calculate all frames necessary for it.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

matt chapman
on May 11, 2017 at 7:45:42 pm

Thanks guys! I'd prefer to learn the technique rather than just copy the frames, as it seems like it would be do-able using expressions.

Is there a way to randomize the propagation in AE, something akin to setting a wiggle expression?

chapman

Return to posts index

matt chapman
on May 12, 2017 at 4:32:53 pm

What about the edge bending? Is there any type of Distortion whereby only the edge of the screen will bend?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 12, 2017 at 5:12:20 pm

That's what I was suggesting with Optics Compensation. You could also do custom Bezier Warps or Mesh Warps, or build a Displacement Map with a gradient.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]