FORUMS: list search recent posts

Colorista alternative for CDL information

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor DiMichina
Colorista alternative for CDL information
on May 8, 2017 at 8:25:16 pm
Last Edited By Victor DiMichina on May 8, 2017 at 9:00:42 pm

Hi, all. On the film VFX side, when matching editorial quicktimes, we currently use Red Giant's Colorista to plug in slope, offset, power, and saturation numbers from the DIT to match editorial quicktimes (combined with a LUT of course). This works quite well, except that Red Giant has ended Colorista development and support. Are there any equivalent tools in After Effects that will do the same thing?

I know that Offsets can be mimicked in Levels by:
Levels set to float values (0-1 scale) and output black = offset, output white = 1+offset. (leaving clip output black and clip output white unchecked)

I know that Saturation can be mimicked with a Hue/Sat node.

It's just the slope & power that I'm looking for. I'm currently on CC2015, have not run the update yet but I know we're always going to be an update away from Colorista not working.

EDIT: In the meantime I'll see how exact I can get it with lift, gamma, gain.

Thanks
-Vic

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Colorista alternative for CDL information
on May 9, 2017 at 1:28:09 pm

Adobe's Lumetri Color effect should support CDLs. Add Lumetri Color, twirl open Basic Correction, select "Browse" under "Import LUT" and choose your CDL file.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Victor DiMichina
Re: Colorista alternative for CDL information
on May 10, 2017 at 12:54:11 am

That's great that it works (and doesn't complain about CCID nonsense like Nuke's OCIO nodes do). In the end, since CDLs vary so much, sometimes they're embedded in the EDL, sometimes they're separate CDL files, etc., we just end up parsing the numbers out of them and automating the process from our shot tracking database.

I just am trying to get a correlation between a saturation number based on centered being 1.0 to a slider based on + or - 100, centered at zero. Making it 50, for example, doesn't yield the same results. For now colorista works though. Thanks!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]