FORUMS: list search recent posts

Computer Build Recommendations (for faster workflow, not rendering)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Teggart
Computer Build Recommendations (for faster workflow, not rendering)
on May 8, 2017 at 3:44:45 pm

Hello CC,

I am independent AE compositor of 4 years. I taught myself how to use after effects and so I apologize in advance if say things that are considered rude or taboo
in the AE community.

Over the years, I have a improved my craft and started to become more adept in some of the advanced plugins in after effects.

As such, working with these new plugins and techniques (Eg. Plexus, RG Plugins, Multi-variable expressions), though improving the quality of my post production, have left me lagging, even guessing how 30 frames of the composition even looks like in 1/8 down-sampled preview.

I have saved up $16,000 USD to build a new working rig (I already have makeshift mini renderfarm)

My question is, can i build a PC that makes my work more sustainable to handle these added effects? or is it a lost cause?

I am currently working on AECC2017 14.2

This is my current rig,

Intel Core i7-6700K (currently OC 15%)
MSI Geforce GTX 980 4Gigs (OCed +300mhz core clocked)
Intel M.2 480gigs (boot)
Windows 10 Pro
32 GB CorsairV DDR4 3000 Ram
1TB Samsung PRO SSD

If it is a lost cause please let me know, i just want move on if this is not possible.

I'm open to trying different a compositing software if that is one of the possibilities.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Computer Build Recommendations (for faster workflow, not rendering)
on May 8, 2017 at 4:58:22 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on May 8, 2017 at 11:08:12 pm

Save your money. You'll need it for a new machine for AE work, but not right now.

Adobe's still reworking AE, and they aren't even close to the finish line. Needless to say, they're mum about what kind of hardware would be best. Cripes, they don't even know yet. Some day they will, but it's not now, and they're not even saying when it will be.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]