FORUMS: list search recent posts

Masking Text (specifically the letter O e) how to cut a hole in a mask

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roy Lewis
Masking Text (specifically the letter O e) how to cut a hole in a mask
on May 7, 2017 at 2:36:07 am

Hello Im a newbie to After Effects and Im trying to mask some simple text. Ive run ito the problem that when I draw a Path around lets say the letter o to get an outline and apply the fill I get a disk. Very basic you would think but I cant find a tutorial on it anywhere.
Im thinking the inner outline/ path I would have to put on a separate layer and invert it. But I cant find the command INVERT Mask anywhere in AE CC2015 can anybody help?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Masking Text (specifically the letter O e) how to cut a hole in a mask
on May 7, 2017 at 4:05:32 pm

It's not very frequent when you would have to mask a character on a text layer.
What are you trying to accomplish? What do you intend the viewer to see?
There may be easier ways to skin this cat.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roy Lewis
on May 7, 2017 at 9:41:37 pm
Last Edited By Roy Lewis on May 7, 2017 at 11:21:53 pm

I am trying to use a Trapcode Particle emitter called Lux which would follow the Path of the stroke of the text. Im not sure if I should post a link here but this video tutorial would explain what Im trying to do. The text I have is not a recognised font, I mean ity is not on a Text Layer, and I dont have the patience to design the whole font in Fontographer. Any help would be appreciated .Thanks for replying to my post ☺

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on May 7, 2017 at 11:26:26 pm

Hi Roy, draw another mask on the same layer - it will create a "Mask 2" under the layer's Masks heading - set it to Subtract. I think that's what you want?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 9, 2017 at 4:06:38 pm

One my my favorite new features in Ae CC 2017.2 is the ability to change the mask mode from the keyboard, while you're drawing it:

N – None
A – Add
S – Subtract
I – Intersect
L – Lighten
D – Darken
F – Difference

When you draw a new mask with the shape tools (Rectangle tool, Ellipse tool, etc.), you can press these keyboard shortcuts at any time while the mouse button is down.

When you draw a new mask with the Pen tool, you can only press these keyboard shortcuts when you close the mask: place the pointer over the closing vertex (usually the first vertex), click and hold the mouse button to close the mask, then press the mask mode keyboard shortcut before releasing the mouse button.

Open masks do not have a mode. These keyboard shortcuts do not work when drawing open masks with the Pen tool.

When you modify a closed mask, you can press these keyboard shortcuts at any time while you hold down the mouse button: when modifying mask points or the mask shape, when in free-transform mode, or when adding or modifying mask feather points.

(from https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/after-effects-cc-april-2017-in-depth-... )

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]