FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fade In and Out random layers in a composition.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Gregory
Fade In and Out random layers in a composition.
on May 7, 2017 at 2:13:45 am

So I have 4 layers in a composition. It's the same image repeated, except each one has a different Photoshop effects on them. What I want to be able to do is an opacity fade from one randomly selected layer to another. Would really appreciate the help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Fade In and Out random layers in a composition.
on May 7, 2017 at 5:31:33 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on May 7, 2017 at 5:32:17 pm

It's been my experience that when people do things randomly in AE, they think, "Ooh, I don't like that" more often than not.

What is actually random doesn't match what their perception of what random should be.

So most of the time, they chuck the idea of going random and do it the hard way, getting the results they wanted in the first place.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brandon Gregory
on May 8, 2017 at 2:06:23 am

I'm sorry, so is that your way of saying you can't help? Do I have to assure you that I do need this? I don't understand...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 8, 2017 at 2:16:41 pm

Instead of using an expression to randomize opacity changes, I recommend creating opacity animation presets and using them to do the fades up & down.

Two reasons why -- you're more likely to get the result you want and it's easier to modify a transition if you want to. Want a 60-frame fade out instead of 20 frames? Move the keyframe 40 frames. You have greater control over the animation.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]