FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to upgrade CPU for faster rendering?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Elliott
Best way to upgrade CPU for faster rendering?
on May 5, 2017 at 5:35:33 pm

Hey guys,

I've been getting really slow rendering times when use certain heavy duty effects, especially if I have a lot working together on one clip. I want to beef up my CPU to cut down on the rendering time but I'm not too sure how to do it.
Current set up:
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.00 GHz
64 bit, 16gb RAM
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 750 Ti

I have a friend who's selling a Xenon processor that I could buy, but I'm not sure if this would help significantly. I know other posts recommended upgrading the RAM. I've looked at other posts on this topic but I know AE is constantly updating and changing, so I was hoping someone might be able to recommend the best move for AE currently.

Thanks,

Paul

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Best way to upgrade CPU for faster rendering?
on May 5, 2017 at 9:10:42 pm

I'd suggest more RAM first, and maybe an SSD for the cache second. Your CPU is already reasonably fast.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Peter Cooper
on Jun 8, 2017 at 2:57:16 am

Hi,

I have the same question. My rig is has a slower CPU (i5-4460), more ram (32GB), an SSD (512GB 850EVO), and faster GPU (GTX970).

Do you think I should bump my CPU to an i7?

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on May 6, 2017 at 10:30:20 am

Your cheapest option may be to go with what Walter has suggested. But first check your motherboard manual/specs. Chances are, if your motherboard is a Z97, the most RAM you can have is 32GB. If, however, it is 64GB max and your current RAM sticks are each 8GB, then they will have to be discarded as you will need 16GB x 4 sticks to make 64GB. And be reminded that your current RAM is DDR3.

As for your friend's Xeon (not Xenon, a type of lamp), check to ensure it is for LGA1150 which is the number of pins in the cpu socket of your current motherboard. If not, then your friend's Xeon will not fit that socket, and a new motherboard is necessary for the Xeon.

If you have more money to splurge, then go for a new system based on LGA2011-3 and DDR4 RAM, etc!!

Thomas Leong

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 6, 2017 at 5:45:57 pm

[Thomas Leong] "As for your friend's Xeon (not Xenon, a type of lamp), check to ensure it is for LGA1150 which is the number of pins in the cpu socket of your current motherboard. If not, then your friend's Xeon will not fit that socket, and a new motherboard is necessary for the Xeon."

I would prioritize clock speed over number of cores for Ae right now. A Xeon with more cores but lower clock speed would actually be a downgrade for most Ae usage today.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Paul Elliott
on May 12, 2017 at 10:47:43 pm

Thank you all for your responses!

I feel pretty stupid for this but the guy who built the computer recently told me that he suspected that the problem lies with the external drive on which I am storing most of the files I'm editing. He recommended upgrading to a faster drive or installing a faster SSD. Will also be updating the RAM to 32GB and hoping that will work.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]