FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stabilizing a Shaky Timelapse

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Horton
Stabilizing a Shaky Timelapse
on May 4, 2017 at 5:10:23 pm

I recently purchased a slider for doing my time-lapses and I went out to get one today. I decided to use a 50mm Lens without IS. It was rather windy and as such the camera appears to shake a lot. My question is what is the best way to stabilize this as obviously the 'no motion' option will not work with this clip and to be honest the usual method does nothing more than zoom it in making it appear more shaky than it already was. There's a lot of movement (including a lot in the foreground which is mostly static) in this so how can I pick something static and tell the program to stabilize off of that object?

Thanks in Advance

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Stabilizing a Shaky Timelapse
on May 4, 2017 at 6:37:20 pm

Well, there's doing it by hand..... and you also might look at AE's basic Motion Stabilizer. It might work. If it doesn't, you might be stuck doing it by hand.

I bet you learned a valuable lesson about what NOT to do when shooting time lapse.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on May 4, 2017 at 7:24:23 pm

if you have good foreground objects that are static and nothing passes in front of, then ae's old tracker should work pretty well.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Sam Horton
on May 4, 2017 at 8:27:27 pm

I have one good foreground object that is static for a while which then gets replaced by another...is there a way of switching between the two?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 4, 2017 at 9:46:30 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on May 4, 2017 at 9:47:37 pm

Try splitting the layer. Stabilize using the first point on one, and the second point on the other.

Or shoot it over, this time without the strong wind. You have to ask yourself if it's worth all the AE grunt work just to salvage a shot that may not work.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Sam Horton
on May 5, 2017 at 12:08:10 am

Sorted... You can just about not tell it was stabilized

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 5, 2017 at 1:00:54 am

Cool! I'd use it.
With all the jiggling plants in the foreground, any stabilization goofs won't be noticed.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Sam Horton
on May 5, 2017 at 10:30:00 am

Apparently after effects doesn't like stabilizing JPEG sequences directly which was the problem the whole time. You live and you learn eh

Return to posts index

Joe Bloemer
on May 8, 2017 at 1:05:11 pm

This looks good. Thanks for the note about sequences. That will be very useful knowledge, if I can remember it when I need it. 😶

Return to posts index

Sam Horton
on May 4, 2017 at 9:38:35 pm

Its frustrating because these telephoto slider time lapses look so good yet they are nearly impossible to make without any kind of camera shake :/ Usually for static timelapses I use the 'no motion' option and it works like a dream but slider ones are considerable more fiddly as I'm finding.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]