FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need Assistance with Distortion Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Heath Vessels
Need Assistance with Distortion Effects
on May 3, 2017 at 3:19:24 pm

Hey everyone!

I'm fairly new to joining CC but I've been on plenty of times to get myself through some trouble with After Effects. Anyway, there are a couple of distortion techniques that I've seen recently that I've tried to teach myself but I have made no progress. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

The first one is a horizontal stretch distortion that only affects a small area & slowly shrinks to show the full image. The effect starts at the 3:04 mark of the first video.

The second one is another stretch distortion. This particular effect only stretches individual letters in words with the other letters maintaining the same size. This one starts around the 3:12 mark.

- Heath

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Need Assistance with Distortion Effects
on May 3, 2017 at 5:09:42 pm

I think its all masking and scalling man, nothing more to it. Just well executed.

maybe if you can, throw some of this plugin/script in the mix?

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on May 3, 2017 at 8:02:52 pm

the displacement map effect might do it....

try creating a new comp, add some text (or an image) and then add a comp-sized rectangular shape layer (double-click the rectangular shape layer tool, without any layers selected will make a composed rectangular shape layer).

set the fill of the shape to gradient and position the gradient to be within the width of the character that you will stretch.

add the displacement map effect to the text and choose the shape layer as the displacement map layer. set vertical displacement to zero and adjust the max horizontal displacement to stretch it out.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Heath Vessels
on May 5, 2017 at 5:42:57 pm

Cassius - Thanks for pointing me in the direction of that plugin! That's exactly what I'm looking for in my project and I can see plenty of interesting uses for it in the future. Thank you!

Kevin - I appreciate the guidance! Unfortunately, I was still having a couple of problems with how the final result was coming out. However, your suggestion gave me an idea and I ended up just converting the individual letters into shapes and manipulating the dimensions to stretch over time. Then I added in a slight RGB split with some motion blur and it worked really well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]