FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effect slower than expected

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julien Ferré
After Effect slower than expected
on May 3, 2017 at 1:01:22 pm

Hi everyone,

I got a little problem with After Effect at my work.

I run After on a decent rig: i7-6700k, GeForce GTX 1070 (not very relevant but still), 16Gb RAM but I'm kinda disapointed by the overall capacity of this rig to handle AE.
I allocated 30Gb on my SSD for the Disk Cache and 13 out of 16Gb of Ram for Adobe applications.

Previewing some WIP is sometime a pain in the ass, when the preview doesnt bug ("need more then 2 image to preview" bug) it can be awfully slow. ATM I'm working on a classic dissolve effect with Trapcode particular. I did a first render (with Media Encoder) which took less then 30 min. I came back to the project added a "Tint" effect, previewing in full quality became impossible even for one frame and the render time skyrocketted to more then 3 hours (1h50m for less then 50%).

Thats the last example of the kind of trouble I got but I had a lot of previous trouble. I have to relaunch AE, clear cache, reboot my PC, often in order to preview 2-3 sec of a project in Full quality (when I'm not forced to use "Half" or even "Third").

Is there something I am missing? Did I setup AE properly (installed on my SSD, memory allocation, etc.)? I am using AE for years, I did it on different rigs and never felt it was lagging more then it should.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: After Effect slower than expected
on May 3, 2017 at 3:22:23 pm

30 GB is not a lot for your cache, but it's unlikely to be the cause of your problems.

The Tint effect is now GPU-accelerated. I wonder if something was going awry there. Try turning your project to use software only and not CUDA or OpenCL and see if it behaves.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 3, 2017 at 3:27:57 pm

Sorry, but we can't give you a good answer. You have only said it's slow... which could mean "not istantaneous" or "a week".
If you can provide measurements of time to illustrate your woes, we can be more helpful.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Miguel de Diego
on Aug 7, 2017 at 2:50:54 pm

did you resolved that? I'm having the similar issue. Good computer but the preview is slow even if I have alredy previewed it

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]