FORUMS: list search recent posts

Remove moving debris from a shot?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Krista Trostle
Remove moving debris from a shot?
on May 3, 2017 at 11:50:56 am

There are tons of tutorials of how to remove dust from your lens, or add debris and particles to your shot. However, I have a shot with a bunch of wood chips flying out of a wood chipper and I need to remove a section of them. Is there an easier/more streamlined way to do this than just clone stamping each chip individually for each frame?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Remove moving debris from a shot?
on May 3, 2017 at 3:19:08 pm

It kinda depends on how the shot looks. Is the camera moving? What are you trying to do, exactly?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Krista Trostle
on May 8, 2017 at 8:08:35 am

Here is a bit of the shot to get an idea (I had to hide the logo), but I've pretty much given it up as impossible. The camera isn't moving, but there is a lot of spitback coming out of the chipper. It is more a personal challenge now to see if I can do it.

https://vimeo.com/216461161

Password: Chips

And thank you for taking a look at it! I really appreciate it!

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on May 6, 2017 at 12:50:37 am

[Krista Trostle] "Is there an easier/more streamlined way to do this than just clone stamping each chip individually for each frame?
"

this actually probably won't work. creating consistency will be very difficult if you clean it frame by frame. show us the shot.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Krista Trostle
on May 8, 2017 at 8:11:13 am

Here is a bit of the shot to get an idea (I had to hide the logo), but I've pretty much given it up as impossible. The chips are so small that cleaning it frame by frame works for a bit (especially if I copy the information from the previous frame), but there is just so much of it. The camera isn't moving, but there is a lot of spitback coming out of the chipper.

https://vimeo.com/216461161

Password: Chips

And thank you for taking a look at it! I really appreciate it!

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on May 8, 2017 at 9:01:39 am

actually you could get rid of 90% of them if you roto the tree and the guy. I have managed to pull this off in 5 minutes

for the background plate I just use 2 separate images where the background is clean right in Ae. you should clean it in photoshop and bring it back flawless.

yes you lose the natural motion of the trees but's that's less important I imagine. also you could fake it with compositing natural moving leafs from where the chips aren't moving yet.

with very rough masking around the tree and the guy. you will do it better using more accurate roto

if you want to get the rest of them, since they are moving really fast then temporal based brush roto can work. just use the stamp tool

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Krista Trostle
on May 8, 2017 at 9:17:28 am

That is an awesome way to do it, thank you! I was too concerned with losing the movement of the leaves in the wind, but actually I can use a background plate/footage from early in the shot when the guy wasn't there yet and still have leaf movement or use a static plate. I bet if I take some more time with the roto, like you said, it can come out really clean. Thank you thank you thank you!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]