FORUMS: list search recent posts

Set keyframe to have incoming hold?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harry Hoag
Set keyframe to have incoming hold?
on May 1, 2017 at 9:32:09 am

Hello!

I think this is trickier than is sounds. I need to set a bunch of keyframes to have an incoming hold. If you right click on keyframes and click "toggle hold" it only holds the out going animation from that keyframe. If you then create subsequent keyframes, afx creates frames that are held on in and out (a fully square looking frame icon). Is there a way to drag select a load of keyframes and manually set their incoming interpolation to hold?

Thanks ☺

FYI, the reason I need to to this is I'm doing a big character animation sequence and I need to animate earlier in the timeline than some other animation. So I want the earlier animation not to move to the next keyframes while I'm working on it (if that makes any sense)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Set keyframe to have incoming hold?
on May 1, 2017 at 2:02:01 pm

It's easier than you think! Highlight the incoming keyframe. Right-click on it and select Toggle HOLD keyframe. That's it! Pretty easy, huh?

They big thing is to get all the keyframe values right BEFORE you use this trick. That way, the image won't jump when AE encounters the outgoing keyframe.

You'll still have the ability to move keyframes on the timeline for timing purposes.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Harry Hoag
on May 1, 2017 at 2:22:43 pm

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply although I think you may have missed a key (pun intended) part of my problem. When you hit toggle hold it only holds the outgoing animation, is there a way to convert a keyframe to a hold in both directions?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 1, 2017 at 5:32:47 pm

You don't have to do that.

When AE encounters a Hold keyframe in the timeline, it freezes the keyframe's values until it encounters another keyframe in the animated parameter... at which point the animation resumes.

When resuming the animation, the outgoing keyframe can be any kind. Linear, Bezier... what have you. If it's another Hold keyframe, the change to the new value -- if any -- is instantaneous.

You don't have to mess up your painstakingly-created project to confirm this. Just make a new project with a new comp and do something dead simple like playing around with position animation. See how it works.

After you've built up your experience and confidence with Hold keyframes, you'll be fine.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]