FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tree leaves moving in breeze and overwriting Illustrator files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hannah Claire
Tree leaves moving in breeze and overwriting Illustrator files
on Apr 29, 2017 at 10:23:15 pm

Hello, I'm relatively new to AE so apologize if these questions are really simple
I've made this scene in Illustrator and want to do a couple of things with it with the boat and the leaves on the tree.

With the leaves I wanted them to just slightly move as if in a breeze, can anyone advise the best way to do that?

With the boat, I'm wanting it to go in to the tunnel but have realised after bringing it in to AE that I need to do some work with the ordering of stuff in illustrator so that it will move in front of the left side of the arch but behind the right side, so I'm in the process of adjusting it to make that work but I wondered can you make little edits on the illustrator file that update in AE to save me having to start from scratch every time I import the file again? I mean in the same way that you can create a composition in AE and bring it in to Premeire and then any subsequent adjustments in AE automatically update in Premeire, do thing work the same with an artboard in Illustrator because it doesn't seem like it does at the moment... I hope that makes sense.

Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated, thank you

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Tree leaves moving in breeze and overwriting Illustrator files
on Apr 30, 2017 at 12:19:57 am

AE lets you modify Illustrator files using the Edit Original command.. but only up to a point. You can't create any new layers because AE won't see them.

And to get those leaves to move in the breeze convincingly they should move independently from each other. Which means more layers. I emphasise -- LAYERS. Illustrator practitioners seem to overlook the concept of layers. However, working in AE is all about working in layers. So you need 'em.

You don't have to abandon your Illustrator work, you just have to modify it, creating layers where necessary. Then import the newly-modified file into AE and have at it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Hannah Claire
Re: Tree leaves moving in breeze and overwriting Illustrator files
on May 1, 2017 at 6:36:00 pm

Thank you so much- the Edit Original command was exactly what I needed!! I will pay attention to the layering more in the future too.

With the tree I moved the anchor points to the base of each leaf then put a slight rotation on them and looped it. I'm wondering if there's a quicker way to do it as I'll be doing a lot more work with the same trees in, but perhaps I just get the trees done once using the method I just did then re-use them.

Thank you again :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]