FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do i get This Type of Seethrough Tracking?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Kappur
How do i get This Type of Seethrough Tracking?
on Apr 26, 2017 at 5:35:09 pm

Hello there!

I've recently watched the following video:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTUuTqojGU3/?taken-by=saberawr
and absolutely loved the look of it.
I'm shooting a Grafitti Video myself right now and therefore i'm asking myself how they achieved this seethrough look with the tracked Background (The background is moving with the camera if i'm not mistaken 😉 )
I'm pretty new to After effects and have just done simple tracking for Text in my videos...
If someone can give me a Hint on how to achieve such a look that would be great!

Thanks in Advance!
Phil

Return to posts index

Ken Teutsch
Re: How do i get This Type of Seethrough Tracking?
on Apr 26, 2017 at 6:40:08 pm

I'd say get a can of green (or any other primary color, really) spraypaint and just use Keylight on it.

I don't really see the camera tracking. It just seems to be a key. But if you need to do that, I would try stabilizing the footage rather than tracking the camera. In this example there's practically nothing to track.

Return to posts index

Phil Kappur
on Apr 26, 2017 at 6:56:38 pm

The Thing i'm trying to achieve is that It looks like the sprayed paint is "dissolving" the Canvas to get a look at something behind,
but this Background layer is staying in place (like it would be in a real world scenario when there is a hole in the canvas in front) when the camera Pans and moves.

Wouldnt there be a lot different look if the Paint was just "See Through" onto the "steady" edited Background layer while the camera moves with the arm?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 26, 2017 at 8:19:28 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 26, 2017 at 8:28:45 pm

[Phil Kappur] "...i'm asking myself how they achieved this seethrough look with the tracked Background (The background is moving with the camera if i'm not mistaken)..."

Sorry, but you ARE mistaken. there's no tracking in that. No need for it!

To create that shot, they practiced on a big sheet of paper using a can of spray paint. It could have been green paint, or it could have been black... either would work. They figured out how they wanted to move the camera, and when to move it farther & closer to the paper. It also looks like fast-motion video -- they probably doubled the speed of the video, which emphasizes some of the bumps in the shot. So they practiced shooting smoothly and painting smoothly, too.

Then they shot it for real. In After Effects, they added the clip to a comp, keyed out the green (or black) and just put some sort of background beneath the video.

It wouldn't have been any big deal to animate the scale and position of the background, which is a LOT easier than tracking. With so little of the background visible, who's going to notice if the background drifts a bit? Not a soul.

Very simple in concept... but a good deal of work went into getting the spray paint shot right.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Phil Kappur
on Apr 26, 2017 at 8:36:06 pm

Thanks very much to both of you!!
Especially for pointing out that tracking would not be necessary at all, I think I'm getting my head around the concept now 😉

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]