FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoother Keyframes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Gibbs
Smoother Keyframes
on Apr 24, 2017 at 2:36:51 pm

Hello everyone,

Having a really hard time making my keyframes smoother, any help would be greatly appreciated.

At the moment, I'm trying to make a similar parallax effect to this:

I've got the parallax down, but now I'm having trouble animating the camera. I've got 4 keyframes (image attached) with a steep position ease out, then linear keyframes, then finally a steep ramp out again. However, the point where the ramp ends and the linear keyframes begin, is very noticeably unsmooth (again, image attached to help illustrate my point).

As you can see in the video example, the camera does its movement, then there's linear travel, then it does another big movement, but it's all seamless. With mine it looks very choppy (as if the camera moves, then stops, then starts again each keyframe if that makes sense?).

I'd imagine it would be a lot easier with the value graph editor, but that doesn't work very well with position keyframes.

(Also, as a sidenote - this also happens to me when I try and do this with my shapes and text in my everyday workflow, but I've just chose to ignore it or spend ages working around it)

If you've read this far and haven't left due to the frustrations of reading my poorly written question, then I appreciate it :)

Return to posts index

Ryan Gibbs
Re: Smoother Keyframes
on Apr 24, 2017 at 3:16:21 pm

I've managed to recreate it with scale, like so:

but again, not sure how to do this with the "speed" graph editor for the position.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 24, 2017 at 5:01:06 pm

Try the Separate dimensions command:
https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/selecting-arranging-layers.html...

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Ryan Gibbs
on Apr 25, 2017 at 10:22:34 am

I've tried that before, but matching the speed of two dimensions perfectly is really difficult...
Also, working with 3 different easy-ease curves is messy, especially when you introduce multiple layers that need to be matched simultaneously. I was hoping for a more efficient method, never mind.

Thanks for the help though, I might just have to do this :)

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Apr 24, 2017 at 9:23:49 pm

every keyframe has incoming and outgoing velocity, if you match this value to the speed of your linear motion you'll see no bumps. Essentially just pull that point up to match the velocity line and accentuate the handle's influence so you get more easiness in.

Just keep in mind that your temporal interpolation has nothing to do with the spatial interpolation, so you'll need to give some smoothness to that curves too if you're animating in more than one dimension. (this too is usually the problem with bumpy movement when animating cameras in 3d space)

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Gibbs
on Apr 25, 2017 at 10:18:38 am

Sorry, I'm having some trouble picturing this... would you mind maybe posting a screenshot so I can understand what you mean?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Apr 25, 2017 at 12:37:19 pm

You should right click a keyframe and choose keyframe velocity, If you match its incoming and outgoing velocity (or check continuous) you should see no speed alterations within that keyframe's frame. After that you just need to increase the keyframe's influence to get a more smooth transition between the speeds.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]