How Do I Create A Tint Cycle Like This?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Ellison
How Do I Create A Tint Cycle Like This?
on Apr 15, 2017 at 7:24:10 pm

Hi all,

Check out this video:

There's a cycle of a color tint, although it appears to happen in different areas of the frame at different times. I've tried to replicate it by using keyframes to cycle through hues but it looks terrible. With the scanlines I figured it might be using something from Red Giant Universe, which I have, but there's nothing like that there.

Any advice on how to achieve this would be massively appreciated!

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
Re: How Do I Create A Tint Cycle Like This?
on Apr 15, 2017 at 11:38:13 pm

have you tried using hue/saturation effect and keyframe cycle the hue wheel? how about creating the two or three looks that you want through separate adjustments and just dissolve between them?

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Gary Ellison
on Apr 16, 2017 at 12:21:33 am

Hey Roei thanks for getting back to me! The keyframe cycle through the hue/saturation was the first thing I tried, but it just didn't look as good at all. There's something about the way it bleeds in at different points of the image that I'm trying to recreate, but not sure how to.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Apr 16, 2017 at 12:27:53 am
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Apr 16, 2017 at 12:39:13 am

try to separate the effect (break it down) to different segments. it looks to me like this look was created with maybe feathered masks on solids so you could then use the tone shifting for each of them separately. I would also try instead of hue/saturation, a tone remapping effect like Colorama, see if that yields better results.

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Gary Ellison
on Apr 16, 2017 at 1:53:13 am

Tried that a well, not really getting anywhere. Oh well, worth a go. Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Apr 16, 2017 at 4:27:32 am

It looks like something you can do with a blending mode. You might try the Color or Hue mode on a layer with a 4 color gradient effect above your footage.

You could generate the color on the top layer in other ways, but the 4 color gradient is an easy and flexible up option.

Another blend mode to try is Soft Light, but keep in mind that any color that's lighter/darker than 50% brightness will lighten/darken the footage below.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Gary Ellison
on Apr 16, 2017 at 4:32:35 am

Thanks Darby, I'll give it a go and report back. :)

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Apr 16, 2017 at 8:27:15 am

of course Blending modes! I was under the impression that was obvious 😂 . 4 color gradient is good advice too and it also has a blend parameter.

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]