Set Matte area not working properly
on Apr 12, 2017 at 10:49:28 pm

Hi,

I'm using the AE CC 2015 Version 13.5.0.347

I'll try to talk through my problem:
• I've created a new comp 1920x1080 - 29.97fps
• Then I drag my pre-composed file into the comp
• Then I create a Shape Layer to use as a mask for my pre-composed layer
• Apply the Set Matte effect into the pre-composed layer and choose the Shape Layer from the dropdown menu "Take Matte from layer"

The problem is that my pre-composed layer is now masked but when I animate it the mask follows. Like it was parented somehow with my pre-composed layer, instead of my mask stay steel and only my pre-composed layer being animated

Return to posts index

Richard Mazikowski
Re: Set Matte area not working properly
on Apr 13, 2017 at 2:21:46 am

If you skip the Set Matte step and just choose alpha matte from the Track Matte pull down on the layer itself it should work the way you want it to. Giving you a stationary matte and a moving foreground.

Richard Mazikowski
rmazikowski@comcast.net
http://vimeo.com/maz1

Return to posts index

Daniel Silva
on Apr 13, 2017 at 1:37:13 pm

Hello Richard,

Thank you for your quick answer!

I thought that I could use this hint as you told me, but I've got countless pre-composed layers that will use the same mask. Therefore I'm using the Set Matte effect to simplify my animation.

Inside my AE file I'm already using the Set Matte effect on another Composition and it is working just fine, but when I create another comp and make those steps as I told you before, the mask won't work properly - make a weird small square mask that "crops" my pre-composed layer not in the way that I want it to be.

But if I don't get any solutions for this matter I'll handle with creating countless Masks and using the Track Matte trick.

If you have any clues about what's going wrong with this effect, please get back to me!

Thank you

Return to posts index

Richard Mazikowski
on Apr 13, 2017 at 2:41:52 pm

I see now. The only work-a-round I can see is to pre comp the pre comp again and do the move inside the new pre comp which doesn't effect the matte.

Richard Mazikowski
rmazikowski@comcast.net
http://vimeo.com/maz1

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Apr 13, 2017 at 4:45:50 pm

you may be able to use the transform effect prior to the set matte effect to do the transforms... it depends a bit on what properties you are animating, but the transform effect will allow you to animate most of the same properties that are in the layer transforms, but no 3d transforms.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Apr 16, 2017 at 12:03:06 am
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Apr 16, 2017 at 1:00:31 am

[Daniel Silva] "I'm using the AE CC 2015 Version 13.5.0.347
"

note: this is unrelated to the issue at hand but still valuable information: 13.5 is not a version you should be using. 13.5, the first version of CC2015, was one of the most buggiest versions ever made in Ae and had numerous updates for that reason. if you want to use CC2015, you should be using 13.7.1 if you are on a PC or 13.7.2 if you are on a Mac. always a good idea to use the latest update of each release.

[Daniel Silva] "The problem is that my pre-composed layer is now masked but when I animate it the mask follows. Like it was parented somehow with my pre-composed layer, instead of my mask stay steel and only my pre-composed layer being animated"

this is one of set matte effect limitations. it is limited by the layer's render order. the render order of Ae layers is effects then transform

meaning that if you move the layer, this process takes place after the set mette operation and not before - causing the layer to move with the matte. one workaround for this is to apply the set matte effect to collapsed layers that causes also the reverse of the render order: first transform, then effect. in your case you can click the collapse switch for the precomp

and it will work as expected i.e when you move the layer, only the layer will move and not the matte.

another workaround for this is using, as Kevin suggested, the transform effect.

now if you want to move the layer, use the transform parameters of the transform effect (and not the native transform of the layer). this way the transform operation is also preformed before the set matte operation.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]