FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE is resizing my still image upon importing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Len Wasson
AE is resizing my still image upon importing
on Apr 10, 2017 at 6:00:38 pm

I'm trying something new - to create my text in PS first, then import into AE CS6 (not CC).

It's important that everything is the correct size, title safe, etc. so in PS I prepared a transparency the size I wanted.

I've tried saving as a tiff. Didn't work AE resized it smaller.

started over, new project, new PS file, saved as a PS file this time, same thing, it does not come into AE the size I want it to.

I know I can resize it in AE to whatever I want, that's not the problem or issue.

I'd just like it to come in the same size that I created it to be - 1500 x 880.

Am I really asking too much? is this just not going to happen or what? If it's not I'll deal with it but I'm thinking it can be done - ?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: AE is resizing my still image upon importing
on Apr 10, 2017 at 7:27:27 pm

[Len Wasson] "I'd just like it to come in the same size that I created it to be - 1500 x 880. "

This is absolutely what should be happening, without you having to do anything. Can you post some screenshots or the PSD file itself?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Len Wasson
on Apr 10, 2017 at 9:35:03 pm

Walter -

I haven't been saving any of these since I have been creating a new one each time hoping one of them would work.

It's just a standard PSD file on a transparent background, first I saved as a tiff, as noted, then I created another one and saved as a psd file, hoping that would work.

also creating new AE project files even - discarding the other ones as I read that AE will import image files the same way once one comes in.

first I tried with a filled block in PS, because it was easier to see then went ahead and did some test text - no go - nothing. It's coming in a different size. I'm completely flummoxed. I've imported tons of images before, never worried about resizing them afterwards as they are usually oversize but I've not created my own before like this.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 10, 2017 at 7:47:37 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 10, 2017 at 7:55:44 pm

[Len Wasson] "I'd just like it to come in the same size that I created it to be - 1500 x 880."

Those are unconventional dimensions. How do you plan to use the completed animation?

As to the changing size issue, did you work in Photoshop using non-square pixels?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Len Wasson
on Apr 10, 2017 at 9:39:08 pm

Dave,

nothing unconventional at all - this is within the title/safe parameters - I'm simply making the text on a transparent background image to be used w/some motion grfx - usually I do the text in AE, trying something different this time.

as for the pixels - I assume these are square pixels - why wouldn't they be? I haven't changed anything.

I checked my preferences and don't even see a place to change them.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 10, 2017 at 10:19:31 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 10, 2017 at 10:31:13 pm

Well, you could always put the text in a 1920x1080 Photoshop file to see if AE reacts to it better.

I realize you shouldn't have to do that, but the current version of AE can be.... well, unpredictable. That's a charitable way of putting it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Len Wasson
on Apr 10, 2017 at 10:57:07 pm

that's actually my next step but of course, I wanted to know if there was something else I should be doing.

I also just upgraded my os to el capo and ran all the ae updates but this is actually the first time I've started a project since then. I only finished the upgrade last week.

sigh...

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Apr 10, 2017 at 8:53:58 pm

is your comp size bigger or smaller than 1500x1800

Return to posts index

Len Wasson
on Apr 10, 2017 at 9:47:35 pm

1920 x 1080

but that is completely irrelevant - and if you'd read my post it was pretty clearly stated the size of the image needed to be within title safe parameters which means it's going to be smaller than the comp -

the point is when one drags an image onto a comp, it should be the size it was imported as - I've resized a zillion images to fit comps before that were oversized.

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Apr 11, 2017 at 3:22:03 am

Have you checked your dpi? when you import are you importing as footage, composition or retain layer sizes..what version of photoshop and after effects are you using.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 11, 2017 at 11:39:50 am

[Richard Garabedain] "Have you checked your dpi? when you import are you importing as footage, composition or retain layer sizes..what version of photoshop and after effects are you using."

DPI shouldn't matter. If you are importing as a composition with layer sizes retained as Richard suggests, then your text layer will be sized to its bounding box instead of the PSD dimensions. However, it will be positioned correctly in the comp that Ae creates.

Really, screen shots or files will help us help you!

Also, there are safety guides in Ae that you can use to do your layout work right there. Press the apostrophe key (') to toggle them.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Len Wasson
on Apr 11, 2017 at 5:07:12 pm

I tried all various import options, nothing mattered, as noted.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 11, 2017 at 5:13:35 pm

You run AE CS6, right? Is it updated to at least version 11.0.4?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Len Wasson
on Apr 12, 2017 at 4:52:09 am

yes, you have to run the updates after upgrading else it won't open

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Apr 12, 2017 at 9:05:58 pm

when you import as footage, there's the option to merge layers or choose layer. if you choose 'choose layer' there's an option to import at the document size or the layer size. choosing document size should maintain the 1500x880 size of the psd.

if you import as composition, make sure you don't choose the 'retain layer sizes' option.

if it's none of that, post either a screen shot or a psd that doesn't import correctly so we can troubleshoot further

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Len Wasson
on Apr 15, 2017 at 9:24:50 pm

wow Kevin - this actually worked!!!

bravo!!! ha ha ha thanks a bunch!!! you are great!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]