FORUMS: list search recent posts

Understanding Two Comp Window Workflow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Foster
Understanding Two Comp Window Workflow
on Apr 10, 2017 at 2:11:22 am
Last Edited By Ian Foster on Apr 10, 2017 at 2:30:41 am

Hi all, many apologies in advance if this question is listed in the wrong place.

Basically I'm finally trying to wrap my head around the concept of working with two comp preview windows open at the same time . I have a very complicated animation that has tons of nested pre-comps and the animation at all levels needs to sync up with with each other when appropriate... a classic digital animation problem.

Right now I have two comp windows open, side by side... the parent/root comp on the left and the child/nested comp on the right. I simply want the changes I make on the child/nested comp to be reflected in the parent comp's window. For the life of me I cannot get this to work right now. I have the parent comp locked and the child comp unlocked if that has any bearing on my problem. Scrubbing the CTI let's me view the unlocked comp's contents just fine in its respective window but no dice on the update in the locked comp's window.

I'm fairly certain I've done this successfully in the past (though I recall having to wait a moment or for the update to be visible aka not fully realtime, another problem unto itself), but for whatever reason I'm having quite a bit of trouble with it tonight... possibly because I'm under an insane deadline and Murphy's Law is in full effect under such conditions.

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: I think I actually resolved this issue by choosing "Synchronize Time of All Related Items" in the General tab under Preferences. My other question still stands though... is there any way to make the preview more "real time" instead of updating half a second after I make changes?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]