FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAW/JPG Image Grain in AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ariel Lightsey
RAW/JPG Image Grain in AE?
on Apr 6, 2017 at 4:48:57 am

I've been trying to import some RAW stills from a Canon 5D into AE CC to compile a time lapse, and no matter what I do, rendering out the footage leaves it much grainier than it originally was. I've messed with bit depth, different export settings, etc, but it seems like AE is just adding some sort of sharpening filter on the stills that brings out or actually creates new grain. I've also tried converting these RAWs to JPGs which yields the same issue.

In timeline:

Upon export:

It's harder to tell here than when actually opening up the video file, but there is definitely something being added on during the render. As seen above, the first image looks just like the original still when in the timeline, but gets completely changed in the export.

Any ideas as to what could be happening?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: RAW/JPG Image Grain in AE?
on Apr 6, 2017 at 1:53:41 pm

Are you viewing at full res in Ae? Please provide a screenshot of your entire UI, and a separate screen shot showing your render settings.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Ariel Lightsey
on Apr 6, 2017 at 6:53:20 pm

It seems like resizing when exporting is solving the problem. Here's a screenshot of my UI and Export settings with the grain.

The viewer's at full resolution, which doesn't seem to affect it. The main thing seems to be that when I export to Prores at original size or at 4K the grain is there, but when I resize it to a width of 1080 in Prores or H.264 it looks way better.

I'm not using a high res monitor so maybe that's part of it. Interesting.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 6, 2017 at 7:22:40 pm

Your viewer is set to full quality, but the zoom is set to 9.1%. That means that a lot of small details will be completely lost. Something that's only a pixel or two big at 100% will completely vanish at 10%.

Unless you really need the native resolution of the footage (5760x3840), you might consider working in a 4K or 1080 comp, depending on what you need for delivery, so that what you see will be closer to what you get.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Ariel Lightsey
on Apr 6, 2017 at 9:40:11 pm

It looks fine when I zoom in on the viewer, it's only when I export to those larger resolutions that I get the grain. Pretty ironic that the lower resolution I go the better the image looks. Not that I need to use the native resolution, but it still is interesting. Seems like a bug or something in the render.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 6, 2017 at 9:42:46 pm

I doubt very much that it's a bug. Any sharpening or halos that you see are probably either chroma subsampling issues or compression artifacts. This kind of fine detail is very difficult on compressors -- even good ones, like ProRes.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]