FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mass replacement of footage and file rendering

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harley Salas
Mass replacement of footage and file rendering
on Apr 5, 2017 at 10:51:21 pm

I'm not a video editor by any means but, I'm looking for a solution to some bulk rendering that I have to do on a daily basis at work.

Basically, we have a template to which we replace an image in and render each video individually. Each render takes about 3 or 4 minutes and it can get a little tedious when you have 50+ to do each day.

Basically, I'd like to use the template I have which contains one composition. Take a folder filled with say 50 images and automate it so that it replaces the image and renders that current composition to a folder. It would be nice if the final video was renamed to the same name as the .png that the footage was replaced with but, it's not necessary. No settings need to be changed, they're all rendered as .avi files. It's pretty time consuming to do this manually by setting up a large render queue with all the images. Can anyone provide a simple solution?

If I could just designate a folder of images to which the footage will be replaced with and then select a folder for the rendered videos to be saved in a short amount of time, that would help me immensely.

I hope this isn't a stupid question. I did a little research but most of the videos and tutorials I watched online either involved spending money, seemed really complex and perhaps a bit advanced for what I'm trying to do, or just generally hurt my head.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Mass replacement of footage and file rendering
on Apr 6, 2017 at 2:03:37 pm

The "right" way to do it does involve spending a little money, to either hire a script developer to write a custom solution for you, or to use an existing script like CompsFromSpreadsheet or CompCode.

But here's a "wrong" way to do it for free.

1. Create a precomp to hold a whole pile of images. Let's call it PILE_OF_IMAGES.
2. Create 50+ duplicates of your main render comp. In each one, use PILE_OF_IMAGES just like you would use your photo.
3. With the PILE_OF_IMAGES layer selected, Use Layer > Time > Freeze Frame.
4. Change this for each comp to refer to a different sequential frame. In other words, in comp RENDER_00, you might set the time remapping value of PILE_OF_IMAGES to refer to frame 0. In comp RENDER_01, you would set the time remapping value on PILE_OF_IMAGES to refer to frame 1, and so on.
5. Add all 50+ dupes of your main render comp the render queue, and let 'er rip.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 6, 2017 at 2:04:48 pm

And of course I forgot to mention that each time you want to use it, you have to import 50+ images into your project, drag them into your PILE_OF_IMAGES comp, trim them to single-frame duration, and sequence them. That sounds like a lot, but it only takes a few seconds to actually do.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Harley Salas
on Apr 6, 2017 at 10:17:07 pm

I understand exactly what you're suggesting when it comes to the "wrong" way. However, the template I have is perhaps a bit complex and I'm not quite sure how to apply it to this particular template. Is there any way that I could pay you a few dollars to walk me through it over Skype? I followed you on Twitter (@Harley_Salas) perhaps an easier way to communicate should you be willing to take the time.

If anything, I'm on the right direction now, thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]