FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keyframing music from normal to extremely slow, quickly like a needle scratch..

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelly Johnson
Keyframing music from normal to extremely slow, quickly like a needle scratch..
on Apr 5, 2017 at 1:35:20 am

I'm trying to quickly but not instantly go from music at normal speed to the equivalent of a record being slowed down as if a finger presses gradually harder.

Audition can't keyframe as far as I can tell so I know I could create a sample at the slow speed then fade in/out the two different sound clips in Premier but...

Is there a way within After Effects to make a sound clip sound as if a dj halted a record playing..but w/out the actual needle scratch?

Return to posts index

Tim Drage
Re: Keyframing music from normal to extremely slow, quickly like a needle scratch..
on Apr 5, 2017 at 10:47:00 am

time remapping an audio file or a (video with audio) changes the speed and pitch in this way.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Keyframing music from normal to extremely slow, quickly like a needle scratch..
on Apr 5, 2017 at 1:52:29 pm

Are you old enough to remember big reel-to-reel audio tape decks, the ones with the aluminum 10-inch reels? Ever mess with the playback speed when they were rolling, or defeat the tape lifters and hit fast fforward or rewind?
Keyframing Time Remapping in AE can simulate that. To do a record scratch, you need the real thing. Fortunately, such sound effects are readibly available.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kelly Johnson
on Apr 5, 2017 at 2:11:08 pm

ahh... Time remapping, ok I'll mess with that. Yeah, I remember the reel-to-reels... but cassettes were taking over the 8 tracks at that point so I only ever saw them in the recording studios! (I'm a musician from a family of musicians so there was always something around!)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 5, 2017 at 4:45:10 pm

You'll want to establish points in the audio where you want it to slow down / speed up and the actual speed you want to maintain. Lots of messing around to get those things established. The Graph Editor will be your friend.

And, of course, the pitch will change.. but you knew that already.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kelly Johnson
on Apr 5, 2017 at 5:43:13 pm

Yeah... I ended up only needing 1.4 seconds of the idea. So I had three layers of that clip overlapping by a few frames and then time streched each 150%/200/225% then faded out the volume on the slowest layer and it accomplished what I needed. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 6, 2017 at 4:15:13 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 6, 2017 at 4:22:30 pm

Glad you got it.
Just know it would have taken 4 Time Remapping keyframes and some work in the Graph editor to do the same thing.
There are often a couple of ways to skin a cat in AE.

And for me, I almost NEVER do audio in AE. 99% of the time, AE really sucks at audio, and the audio isn't necessary. Hell, I don't even render out lip-sync audio -- it's almost always in a video edit application already. You get your frame rates right and it isn't a problem.

The two instances I do render out audio is for time-remapped, ramped speed changes and AE's Reverb effect; I really like it -- Easy to use!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]