FORUMS: list search recent posts

Element 3D will not work with Quadro GPU because After Effects uses Intel HD Graphics for OpenGL

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thiago Costa
Element 3D will not work with Quadro GPU because After Effects uses Intel HD Graphics for OpenGL
on Apr 5, 2017 at 1:03:14 am

Hi,

I recently bought the MSI WS63 7RK-290US, i7 7700HQ, NVidia Quadro P3000.
The plan was to use it for video editing, FX and 3D Modeling. The computer works great for CAD and modeling, but when it comes to after effects, the OpenGL will select the integrated video graphics, from the i7. For Raytracing, its uses the Quadro P3000 just fine, but for the most part of my everyday work, I use the plugin from VideoCopilot - Element 3D. Since the plugin uses the OpenGL and is not compatible with intel HD graphics, It will not load, saying that the OpenGL is not compatible.. When I go to Device Manager and disable the Intel HD Graphics, the plugin works smoothly, extremely fast, since After Effects will recognize the P3000 for OpenGL. And this would solve the problem, but outside of After Effects, if I try to use anything else on windows, like watching a video on youtube, surfing the web, or even moving icons around on the desktop, the screen becomes terrible, very laggy, as if there was no VSync or if the monitor was in a low framerate. Seems like the system will only work fine when the Integrated graphics is enabled.

Is there a way to fix this? Any workaround? I figure if there was a way to select the P3000 for OpenGL inside After Effects all my problems would go away.

Thank you in advance!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Element 3D will not work with Quadro GPU because After Effects uses Intel HD Graphics for OpenGL
on Apr 5, 2017 at 1:59:19 pm

The short answer: no.

The longer answer: Adobe gave up on Ray Tracing years ago. The capability still exists, but now in the bundled C4D Lite. I can't speak about Element 3D -- don't have it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Element 3D will not work with Quadro GPU because After Effects uses Intel HD Graphics for OpenGL
on Apr 5, 2017 at 4:48:40 pm

For OpenGL, Ae can only use the graphics card that the system exposes to it -- the one driving the monitor. So while you can't tell Ae what card to use for OpenGL, you can tell the system what GPU to use for Ae. See here for inspiration:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles...

The ray-tracing renderer uses the GPU in a completely different way. That's what it's not subject to the same restriction.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

chola simmons
on Jun 5, 2017 at 2:07:35 pm

I've had a Lenovo W540 for a while now, with nVidia K1100M, upgraded from another Lenovo with ATi GFX and used to have the same problem with Element3D, I've updated my drivers for so long, for everything, so many times, hoping some genius coder will find a way to sort out whatever limitation causes this problem, still no luck.
But today I had enough, I spent the whole day tinkling around my Windows 10 OS, and lastly I thought of disabling my Intel HD 4600 from Device Manager, leaving the nVidia K1100M running, the screen res dropped significantlly, but AE opened fine, and... E3D opened too, with nVidia detected as the primary GPU, all i did was re-enable the intel GPU and got my res back to normal, so far things seem to be fine 😊

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]