FORUMS: list search recent posts

Output settings Similar to Quarter Quality RAM preview?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Taylor
Output settings Similar to Quarter Quality RAM preview?
on Apr 2, 2017 at 11:41:38 pm

I made a puppet character in Illustrator / After effects. I wanted to make sure I could re-use the puppet in a variety of settings (in one scene I might want to zoom in very close to his face, for example), so I made the original vector / composition very large.

I think I overdid it, because my final renders are painfully slow.

The good news is the quarter quality RAM preview is a reasonable speed, and because there's so much resolution, at normal zoom distances it looks fine.

What final output settings would be similar to this? I know you can save a RAM preview, but that would limit me to compositions of 16GB or less.

Thanks. :)

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Output settings Similar to Quarter Quality RAM preview?
on Apr 3, 2017 at 4:13:12 am

You can choose quarter resolution in the Render Settings of the output.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Brent Taylor
on Apr 3, 2017 at 2:52:14 pm

Darby: Could you be a little more specific? I'm not sure exactly which settings you mean. For example, I tried exporting in the Quicktime Animation codec at 20 instead of 100, but that still wasn't anywhere near as fast as the quarter quality RAM preview.

Dave: Yes, I'm doing that. The larger comp is nested into a delivery-sized comp (1920 x 1080). The delivery-sized one is the one I'm rendering out.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Apr 3, 2017 at 10:32:18 pm

There is a separate menu for "Render Settings" that usually defaults to Best Quality. This is in the After Effects render queue, I'm not sure if it's available if exporting through Adobe Media Encoder.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Tim Kurkoski
on Apr 4, 2017 at 7:36:56 pm

> There is a separate menu for "Render Settings" that usually defaults to Best Quality. This is in the After Effects render queue, I'm not sure if it's available if exporting through Adobe Media Encoder.

It is available if you use the Queue In AME button in the Render Queue panel.

Queue In AME will override the comp settings with the settings chosen in the Render Settings for that render item, and add that version of the comp to the AME queue. (This is similar to how After Effects does the render internally when it processes the render queue.)

Using the older Add To AME Queue command (Composition or File > Export menus) adds the comp at full resolution and other default settings (no overrides for resolution, effects, proxies, etc.).

Return to posts index

Brent Taylor
on Apr 5, 2017 at 3:49:14 pm

Darby / Tim:

Thank you. I see those options, but I'm not sure what to change to get a similar resolution and speed to "Quarter" in the preview. For example if I go to change Best Settings I can choose between Current, Best, Draft, or Wireframe. In AME I'm not sure what the corresponding choice would be either.

Sorry if this is kind of an elementary question. I've tried turning a few different settings down to a quarter of what they were, but they're always still much slower than the Quarter RAM preview was.

Return to posts index

Tim Kurkoski
on Apr 5, 2017 at 4:42:22 pm

In the Render Settings dialog, change the Resolution. It has the same values (Full, Half, Third, Quarter, Custom) as the Composition viewer panel. Or you can set it to Current Settings to use whatever the composition is currently set to.

In AME, you will get the same result by changing the export width and height to the same pixel values. ex., For a 1920x1080 comp, quarter res would be 480x270.

Return to posts index

Brent Taylor
on Apr 5, 2017 at 4:54:59 pm

Awesome. Thanks so much everyone.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 3, 2017 at 2:35:36 pm

It doesn't sound like you're nesting your big comp in another comp in the dimensions you need for delivery. Is this true?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]