on Mar 31, 2017 at 6:52:02 pm Last Edited By Antonio Prado on Mar 31, 2017 at 7:04:58 pm
Hello, i have a problem i can't figure out, i was wondering if anyone here could help.
I have an illustration of a girl with his hair blowing with the wind. It is very minimal, the hairs are just some simple shapes (like 7 of them), but i want to animate them separately, to make it look like the wind is moving them individually (with puppet pin tool). I can do this fine, but the problem comes when i try to compose this illustration with other parts of the video. The camera starts in another illustration, but then slowly animates following the hair of the girl, finally zooming out and revealing the whole head. When i try to do this i find all kinds of problems (broken results due to puppet pin, some of the shapes stop animating and others), the only thing that seems to work is precomposig the girl illustration scaling it to fit the needed size, and deactivating the "continuously rasterize" option, but then i have a very pixelated result. I don't know if i'm making myself clear, english isn't my native language. I apologize.
The puppet pin tool is a raster effect, so you can't use it with the continually rasterize option. It messes it up. So like you've noticed, you need to precomp it.
Here's how I do it...
Take the element (in this case the hair) that will have puppet pins. Precomp it. In the hair composition, make it really large using the continually rasterize option. Make the composition itself really big too (as much as you'll need to zoom in... if the camera is going into 300%, make it 3 times larger, etc).
Back in the main comp, size the hair precomp down (if you did it 3 times larger, make it 33%). Then turn off the continuously rasterize option. Apply the puppet pins to that.
I find this works well. Just don't overdo the resize, or your renders will be really slow.
Thank you very much for your answer Brent, i ended up trying this also, but the puppet tool messed up when the camera started to move. I was on a bit of a hurry so i opted for breaking the hair in the individual hairs and faking the wind blowing with a turbulent displace on each layer of hair, offsetting them a bit so they didn't move all the same. I didn't have a lot of control, but it was good enough for the purpose.