FORUMS: list search recent posts

Removing Light from scene

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
London Jones
Removing Light from scene
on Mar 31, 2017 at 1:35:03 pm

Hey guys,

I need some help with removing a light from a scene. It's roughly a 10 second shot. I can't seem to figure a way to remove the light and blend the replacement mask.

The tracking of the light is no problem, however, as for blending and removing the light for sure, I've tried:

Rotoscope the light out but the outline of the light still shows up.

Tracking the light and use a mask along with a 4 color gradient effect (to try and blend the mask in which I'm still playing around with currently)

What I'm going to attempt is to do is:

Expand the rotoscope area and then use a alpha mask to cover and blend the light in (I'm hoping this works)

If anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to let me know. I personally feel that I'm overthinking the problem, however, when I bring it to simple steps, it only get more complicated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Removing Light from scene
on Mar 31, 2017 at 2:00:37 pm

It's pretty much impossible to give any useful advice without seeing an image.
Do you happen to have any footage of the scene with the light off?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

London Jones
on Mar 31, 2017 at 2:08:32 pm

Sorry about that, I've included two images,
one is the following light I'm trying to remove, the other image is the frame right after the light is not seen.

The camera is moving at a normal speed, but the perspective is complex at times.

So far I've expanded the rotoscope area and it still has that copy and paste look.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 31, 2017 at 4:01:07 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 31, 2017 at 4:11:20 pm

I'm afraid it's going to retain that cut & paste look.

Take a close look at the guy's shoulder on the wider shot. You see how the light glare wraps around the shoulder? If you mask around the precise shape of the shoulder, the light wrap will still be there. If you try to replace the shoulder with some other non-glare portion of the shot, you'll have a nightmare on your hands.

I'm just curious -- who among the production crew said, "We can fix that in post"?
That should be the person who fixes it.
Or as an alternative, should receive your bill for as much as 60 hours of painstaking, frame-by-frame repairs.
Or as an alternative, should be the one to say, "You know, I think we should just shoot this again and get it right."

The poor guy in that shot -- he's going to be forced to kiss a pretty lady again. My heart goes out to him.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

London Jones
on Mar 31, 2017 at 4:18:50 pm

I have found a way to "fix" this, but at one point, for about a second, it moves and sort of glitches out of position. I'll key-frame the position and call it a day unfortunately.

I see what you're talking about with the guy's shoulders. There's no way to really get rid of the light. If anything I will attempt to use a color correction to resolve it (Even then it'll still look off or bad).

To respond to your curious questions and thoughts;

I did not film this. I was thinking the same thing as I was masking my way around the light.

Return to posts index

London Jones
on Mar 31, 2017 at 4:23:37 pm

Here's what I can do so far, overall, it's going to look awkward. There's some spots that makes it stand out. Towards the end of the shot, it moves.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 31, 2017 at 4:31:55 pm

The good news here is that what's going to grab the viewers' attention is the kiss. If people are looking at his shoulder and the background, they're looking in the wrong place. You and the camera person are probably the only ones who will notice the "problem".

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Mar 31, 2017 at 4:31:59 pm

i like the light..it adds dimension to an otherwise boring backdrop..tell your boss he is wrong for wanting you to do this..

Return to posts index

London Jones
on Mar 31, 2017 at 4:44:33 pm

Joseph,
I was thinking the same thing, whether I get rid of the light or not, it's only going to be two people who will notice this, but because of the positioning of the mask that's covering the light, it'll definitely grab the audience's attention.

By the way, I'm covering this light from:

Freeze framing the shot
Painting over the light
Masking the area
Placing the mask over the light with a darken blending mode
(What I wasn't thinking of before, but I'm going to do this) Pickwhip the position of the mask to the position of the tracked_null

Richard,
It really doesn't look that bad as a general scene. Because I have to get rid of this, it crosses my mind constantly.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 31, 2017 at 7:28:05 pm

I'm just curious -- who among the production crew said, "We can fix that in post"?
That should be the person who fixes it.

---sadly, it's usually my boss.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]