FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can you make a parent/child link from one Shape Layers transform properties to another?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carolyne Anthony
Can you make a parent/child link from one Shape Layers transform properties to another?
on Mar 29, 2017 at 9:59:02 pm

I have a technical question - is it possible to make a shape follow the transform properties of another shape? Basically like the parent/child relationship, but instead of following the main transform properties of a shape, they'd follow that shape layers' 'Transform: Shape' properties. Does that make sense? I'm trying to make a box follow the scale and movement of another box but the animation keyframes are on the shape itself.

To go further, the reason why I've animated the shape's properties instead of its general transform properties is because I need it to retain it's stroke width constantly throughout the animation. If someone has a solve for that, maybe I could work around it entirely.

Any help appreciated.

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
Re: Can you make a parent/child link from one Shape Layers transform properties to another?
on Mar 30, 2017 at 12:34:59 pm

You sure can. Just Alt+Click or Opt+Click the keyframe button of the parameter of what you want to parent. The pickwhip button will appear below and you can drag it to the property you want it to follow.

Return to posts index

Carolyne Anthony
Re: Can you make a parent/child link from one Shape Layers transform properties to another?
on Mar 30, 2017 at 1:11:53 pm

Wow I had no idea it'd be that easy. Thank you so much!!

Return to posts index

Carolyne Anthony
on Mar 30, 2017 at 2:10:23 pm

I tried to pick whip the scale properties, which works great! But it looks like the anchor points of the shapes have to match in order for them to scale in the same direction? Is there a reason for that?

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Mar 30, 2017 at 3:37:08 pm

Yeah, it scales based on it's anchor point, not the anchor point of its parent.

Return to posts index

Carolyne Anthony
on Mar 30, 2017 at 3:48:31 pm

Okay that's interesting. Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]