FORUMS: list search recent posts

One point Perspective?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dionne Knapp
One point Perspective?
on Mar 29, 2017 at 2:42:41 pm

I'm doing a student film (junior in college) and there's a door at the bottom of a staircase that is increasingly foreboding to the main character who is irrationally afraid to open it.

I want the shot of that door from the top of the staircase to have that one-point perspective effect where the staircase looks longer than what it actually is and the door is centered in the frame so the viewer's eyes are drawn to it - like what Kubrick uses in "The Shining" and most of his movies.

I don't have a million dollar lens and I cant go out and buy one . My camera I'm using is a Sony XD . I'm not a cinematographer so I'm not sure if or how I could change the settings to get that perspective or if i even need to? Maybe its all about how you center the door in the frame ?

Or can you change the perspective in post? I have Adobe CC so could I do this in AE or Premiere?

Any help would be awesome :-)

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: One point Perspective?
on Mar 29, 2017 at 5:12:48 pm

take a look at these 2 tutorials:

i'm not sure it's exactly what you are looking fro, but seems close. I'd recommend doing a quick test with a simple shot of the stair case, and use the techniques here to see if it can do what you need it to do.

Kevin Camp
Art Director

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
Re: One point Perspective?
on Mar 29, 2017 at 11:30:04 pm

Hi, you might also like to look at the "Vertigo Effect" which is made in-camera. Basically the camera dollying in as it zooms out thus keeping the framing but changing the perspective, it's quite unsettling. An oldie but a goodie.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved