FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects: Keeping an object center framed.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brooks Burgoon
After Effects: Keeping an object center framed.
on Mar 28, 2017 at 10:34:58 pm

Hello AE Wizards!

I have a drone shot that is tracking a car and I'd like to keep the car in the center of the frame the whole time. I shot in 4K and will be delivery a 1080 timeline, just wondering if there was a simple method to make the car stay centered. I shot it extra wide because I knew it would be really difficult to keep it center framed the whole time, I said the famous last words, "I'll fix it in post", but I am having trouble figuring out how to do so.

Thank you!

"It's not where you take things from, it's where you take them to."

Brooks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: After Effects: Keeping an object center framed.
on Mar 28, 2017 at 11:11:29 pm

Can we see the shot?
At first blush, my gut says tracking won't be a lot of help. Maybe the car passes under a tree or gets obscured by things around it -- there goes the track.

Drones are pretty stable, so I'd think you could do the job pretty darned well just by animating the position by hand.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brooks Burgoon
on Mar 28, 2017 at 11:14:37 pm

Dave,

thank you for the quick response. Could you lead me in the direction of animating it by hand? The car does pass under a bunch of trees.

Thank you.

"It's not where you take things from, it's where you take them to."

Brooks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 29, 2017 at 6:24:30 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 29, 2017 at 8:01:05 pm

If you don't mind if the car drifts around the center a little, you should be okay. Not having see the shot, it's tough to tell.

Just make a 1920x1080 comp in the frame rate you shot, and adjust the comp length accordingly in the comp settings. Add your 4K footage. Center up the car initially and make a position keyframe. Now all you do is animate the position. Go through the comp and find those points where the car drifts way off center & make markers on the layer at those points. Go back to the beginning, find the markers and drag the layer around to center up the car.

You'll probably have to preview the shot in parts -- get to know how to work with the Work Area (look it up). And you'll probably have to further tweak the position in spots.

And now you know why you should never say, "I'll fix it in post".

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]