FORUMS: list search recent posts

How render compatibly for most number of large screen uses?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Clasman
How render compatibly for most number of large screen uses?
on Mar 28, 2017 at 2:36:52 pm
Last Edited By Tom Clasman on Mar 28, 2017 at 2:39:25 pm

Not sure which forum my question belongs in, but since I'm using AE I'll try here first.

Making a short film for an ideal organization, and I wish to render it into a format which will allow the most number of uses. For example, there's a slight possibility that part of the film may end up in cinema use, like one of those small ads before the mail film starts etc.

So far I've exported as HD (1920x1080), AVI, using the MagicYUV codec, which seems to be one of the better ones.
In a documentary on Star Wars, I noted one of the camera guys for "Phantom Menace" said they're shooting in HD 1920, and that amount of data seems to translate well to a several meters wide silver screen. But from other sources, I keep hearing cinema projectors uses a resolution that is just mad, to make up for the large size of the screen and 1920 won't be enough by a long shot.

In this I'm also counting large digital screens, like big TVs or presentation systems.

Is 1920 really enough for larger screen uses?
And how can one use a professional or near-pro end format so as to be compatible with most number of uses?

Return to posts index

Ken Teutsch
Re: How render compatibly for most number of large screen uses?
on Mar 28, 2017 at 4:40:41 pm

The best answer is to contact whoever it is you wish to submit the video to and find out their exact requirements. Systems differ a lot.

As a rule, digital cinema is going to require that "mad" resolution, not standard HD. And the original resolution of the footage may put an upper limit on how much you can blow it up and still look decent.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: How render compatibly for most number of large screen uses?
on Mar 28, 2017 at 7:28:05 pm

as Ken points out, you should know the delivery specs before starting a project.

but i do think that 1920x1080 at either 29.97 or 23.976 fps is a pretty good bet for most general-purpose uses. most tv stations will accept 1080, it will work for blu-ray, you-tube, vimeo, etc. and i think it is likely that the commercial played in theaters before the trailers start are likely 1080 -- otherwise i think they'ed have a tough time getting spots if they required clients to have special media created.

file type and codec are another thing entirely. different hardware and software will have different requirements, so you'll likely need to create those from a high quality master render as needed. I would consider Avid's DNxHD, ProRes 422 or Quicktime Photo-JPEG (quality set around 90) for the master. DNxHD is mulit-platform, as is Photo-JPEG (which just requires Quicktime to be installed). ProRes requires OS X to encode.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]