FORUMS: list search recent posts

can someone explain to me how to make 2 layer stick together? parenting doesnt work with this

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Bal
can someone explain to me how to make 2 layer stick together? parenting doesnt work with this
on Mar 27, 2017 at 1:56:03 pm

Hello ,I checked the forum and to make 2 layer move together, everybody recommends parenting. Which is a great tool, but however i have a really simple animation I couldn't figure it out how to make a really nice smooth move.

use case:

layer one ( cropped picture moves from left to the right, stops, then moves again, stops, then move out. What I want to achieve is there is a slightly larger image layer 2, and it should act like it pushes layer 1 out of the frame from the left to the right. If I just do parenting since it has the different size the gap between pictures changing during animation. If I adjust it by hand it also ugly. Is there any way to set somehow the gap between layers to a certain value? or somehow forcing after effects to make the 2 layer syncronised? ( as there will be layer 4, layer 5 etc so it will be a huge headache to do it manually ( besides being ugly)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: can someone explain to me how to make 2 layer stick together? parenting doesnt work with this
on Mar 27, 2017 at 2:08:37 pm

What you've described isn't a single animation of position. It's TWO, and you animate them separately. If you're new to AE, you'll just have to keep tweaking those keyframes until you get what you want. It's not automatic. It takes practice.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Adam Bal
Re: can someone explain to me how to make 2 layer stick together? parenting doesnt work with this
on Mar 27, 2017 at 2:17:41 pm

Hello Dave,

thanks for the reply.

you say i must do it frame by frame?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 27, 2017 at 2:25:58 pm

May we assume that you're familiar with the process of using keyframes for animation?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Mar 27, 2017 at 3:45:44 pm

parnent layer 1 to layer to, then check the position of layer 1 and hit zero in the z coordinate. then..move it to where you want..your problem is where in the timeline you parented your layers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]