FORUMS: list search recent posts

Person to Particle effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Geselbracht
Person to Particle effect
on Mar 26, 2017 at 7:02:16 am

Hey fellow Motion Graphic enthusiasts!
I have a project that I am working on that requires me to turn footage of a person into particles. These particles will loosely form to the subjects body and will trace the motion of this person as they perform. The performance would be a dance and the final product would be just particles that resemble human form and movement against a drab (most likely black) background. I am posting because I have a couple different ideas on how to do this and I wanted to hear the opinions of other pros!

My first attempt would be a layer with an alpha channel applied to it that isolates the subject and then linking that to a Particular emitter layer with the emitter layer (I have been able to do this with text layers but not successfully with keyed footage. )

My other solution would be to dress the subject in a target suit and key multiple particular layers to follow those targets to create a more abstract particle dance. ( A problem that arises with this is that the null tracers will not be able to follow a 3d tracksuit)

Anyway, I thought this would be a fun animators challenge and I would love to hear what people have to think and any suggestions are more than welcomed!

Ben Geselbracht

Return to posts index

Graham Quince
Re: Person to Particle effect
on Mar 26, 2017 at 11:06:37 am

Hi,

When you say you haven't been successful with keyed footage, have you tried pre-comping the footage. Particular can't see the alpha channel when the key is applied in the same comp. Pre-comping should take care of this for you.

Graham

http://www.YouTube.com/ShiveringCactus - Free FX for amateur films
http://shiveringcactus.wordpress.com/ - FX blog

Return to posts index

Ben Geselbracht
Re: Person to Particle effect
on Mar 27, 2017 at 12:53:58 am

Hi Graham,
Yup the pre-comp did it! It initially was not working even with the referenced layer pre-comped because of the order in which I applied Particular. But after stepping backwards and re-attempting it worked like a charm. Thanks for the input!

Ben Geselbracht

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]