FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dreamlike atmosphere

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gigi Marzo
Dreamlike atmosphere
on Mar 25, 2017 at 2:28:24 pm

Hi, I'm Troy Gigi M. You may remember me from such other thread as Cable tail, Squash and stretch or Morph...
After that stupid Simpson's quote I will get right to the point...
I have to make a short film for my next school exam, so I want to narrate a story about love: I want to do a thing about this: il convegno

So I have realized an animatic (or story reel): I have shot and reverse shot of my two characters in a differents fields and shots (MS, MCU and CU), and the last shot is a two shot like the painting.
What can I do to achieve an outcome like the painting? To get that final result like a color, light and atmosphere similar to the painting?

Thank u in advance for the help... and sorry for my little english

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Dreamlike atmosphere
on Mar 25, 2017 at 4:24:58 pm

I would do this:

Edit the entire video in Premiere Pro.
Once you have Edit Lock, which means you will make no more editing changes, you can open the Premiere Pro sequence in After Effects. It will make an AE comp.
Make an Adjustment Layer, and make sure it is the top layer in the comp. It will apply any effects in it to all layers below it.
There are many color adjustment effects in AE, and there is an effect that creates the effect of paint brush strokes.
Work with the effects on the adjustment layer until you have the look you want. Then render in the media container and codec of your choice. You will not have to render audio.
Import this video file into Premiere Pro. Put it on the top track of your PP sequence, and export your finished project.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gigi Marzo
on Mar 25, 2017 at 7:31:31 pm

Thank u Dave, u are always ready to reply and to help! ☺

So, ok for ur softwares practical line... But maybe I didn't explain it earlier.
Firstly it is my animatic
So I think I need a "visual help" in the first place: how would u make it?
For example, I thought I'd film it in external location, (with natural light?) maybe with pastel backdrop. Is it the good solution? And is better and easier to film it with real/material scenographic elements to process in post-production (aftereffects) to compose a similar effect like this in the painting?

...Or Is better (?) to film it without scenographic elements -only characters and iron grating- and adding scenographic nature and colors objects in post-production (aftereffects, not 3D element)?

So I'd love to have a concept, a point of view about the operating/production methods.
I hope I have been clearer now (sorry again for my little english), and I hope u can help me (or at least to start a debate on the subject to discuss and share opinions as always)

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Mar 26, 2017 at 3:09:24 am

Hi Gigi, to give you something concrete to work with the first thing I would do is shoot some rough footage and place the Cartoon effect on it. It can give you a painted look:

It depends on your footage but as a guide:

Render = Fill
Detail Threshold = 50
Shading Steps = 3.5

Then add the Gaussian Blur effect set to about 1.5

Play with all the settings (except Edge) and see if you can get the look you need.

Once you see how that looks you should then be able to tell the best way to shoot it - you might want to shoot it on location so that the characters and background have the same painterly look - or on the other hand you might want less detail in the background, that's an artistic decision.

Return to posts index

Gigi Marzo
on Mar 26, 2017 at 4:16:48 pm

Thank u Dave too.

So tomorrow and/or the day after I will (try to) shoot some rough footage. But I'm still not sure if I have to use concrete scenographic objects (like plants, grass...) or nothing... or even objects had nothing to do with it but which are really colorful that in postproduction I can make it faded, blurred, gnarled. Uhm... I'm so confused, because I can't imagine how to do that "dreamlike" atmosphere.
Obviously for this reason u will tell me to shot different rough footage, I think... or do you have more tips to give me? I hope so.

Thank u again, again and again. ☺

P.S. If I want to add smoke, Can I do in aftereffects or I have to rent the fog machine :S ?

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Mar 26, 2017 at 11:57:57 pm

Hi, yes shoot with different backgrounds and a person in front - these are only tests so don't stress about them, the object is to have something to look at that is vaguely like your final footage, so that you can see what the effects might look like. I would certainly try to shoot some greenscreen so you can experiment with different backgrounds/textures behind your performers.
Smoke? If you want to soften the look I would do it in After Effects, or do you want actual smoke for some other reason? The standard way of doing dreamy is to use slow motion, that might be worth considering.

Return to posts index

Gigi Marzo
on Apr 22, 2017 at 7:38:22 pm

Im so sorry for my disappearance, but I have had a trouble (even with the cinema school).
Among other things I could not talk about school projects ... bah.

So I have shot my footage and now I'm editing...

just for the dreamlike atmosphere, I'm thinking to add a smoke in my film , so I have two shots: the first one with characters and the second one is the same without characters...Could I utilize this two shots to isolate the characters to delete everything except them? I think is the better thing to add smoke. I know, I dont speak a good english so I can try to explain it with attached pictures:

Is there "subtraction method" or should I go the masks way?

Thank u in advance and sorry for my mistakes... I hope I was clear on that point.

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Apr 23, 2017 at 1:21:35 am

Hi Gigi, you could try using the Difference Matte effect if your shots were taken on a tripod
https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/keying-effects.html
but I suspect that rotoscoping (the masks way) might be the most successful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]