FORUMS: list search recent posts

Particular particles popping over each other as they move in Z space

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Matthews
Particular particles popping over each other as they move in Z space
on Mar 24, 2017 at 3:02:25 pm
Last Edited By Andrew Matthews on Mar 24, 2017 at 3:30:20 pm

I've got some largish custom particles which, as they are emitted, sometimes move in front/behind one another, resulting an unpleasant popping in and out effect. In other words, as soon as a particle comes closer to the camera than the ones that were in front of it, it looks like it just pops in. I've searched Particular for some kind of option that could help, but coming up empty.

My animation isn't too special--just a bunch of trash pouring out of a trash can--so I can be flexible with other parameters. I just need the particles to not be constantly popping in front of and behind each other! It's really confusing as I can't think why if there's no turbulence or random velocity or direction spread, the particles should be continuously swapping places in z space???

Anyone know if there's a way to manipulate particle visibility in respect to z-space, or any other workaround for this?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Particular particles popping over each other as they move in Z space
on Mar 24, 2017 at 4:53:13 pm

if your emitter is directional and (as you said) there's no turbulence or directional spread, you'd definitely think the particle's shouldn't shift in depth.

what you might try is using 2 or more particle systems on separate layers, emitting fewer particles. the idea being that if each emitter is emitting few enough particles that there won't be enough particles to encounter the issue you're having. and particle systems on separate layers will always obey layer order not 3D space, so those particles will always stay behind the top layer system, but allow you to have the same number of particles as a single system.

you can use the random seed value to vary the systems (emitter>random seed)

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]