FORUMS: list search recent posts

Achieving Overexposed Look

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mohammed Sarmadawy
Achieving Overexposed Look
on Mar 23, 2017 at 11:07:09 am

Hey!

I am doing a music video and i'm looking for different techniques to achieve the look in the picture bellow.

I would prefer to have only my main character overexposed and colorized, do you have any suggestions?

Preferred look:

My raw footage shot with Arri Amira:

Thanks for all tips and techniques in advance! :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Achieving Overexposed Look
on Mar 23, 2017 at 3:30:53 pm

Surprise! I am NOT going to tell you about the effects you should use. Instead, I will write about something much more fundamental and important.

You don't realize it, but you will need to work on the subject and the background separately. There are too many places in that shot where the luminance vales of subject & background are similar. If you don't do it, your work will come to a grinding halt.

This means you will need to remove the subject from the background. You can do it one of two ways.
First, you can re-shoot on a properly-lit green screen, which makes the process very easy and fast in AE.

Or you can do it the HARD way -- you can use the shot you have and separate the subject from the background using the Rotobrush tool. If you haven't used Rotobrush before, you MUST use a few Rotobrush tutorials from a reputable source. Rotobrush is NOT intuitive to use -- you need to learn how to us it properly. Depending on the length of the project, your investment in time doing it the hard way using Rotobrush will range from about 12 to 80 hours.

Go to sources like the Adobe Web site, the Pro Video Coalition, perhaps Videocopilot or here on the COW. If you just google "rotobrush tutorial", you have NO idea of the quality of the training you will get.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mohammed Sarmadawy
on Mar 23, 2017 at 4:02:50 pm

Thanks for the reply Dave!

Yeah, I knew that I had to work with them separately, but I was hoping that there was an effect or something that I didn't know about, haha. I guess I have to go the hard way on some of the shots.

But I found another alternative to the reference picture:

Thanks for the tips on the rotobrush tutorials too, btw :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 23, 2017 at 4:19:16 pm

I see that's all one basic color. The background on your original image is in a complimentary and different color.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]