FORUMS: list search recent posts

Better option other than raytrace for 3d motion tracked text? Or am I just doing something wrong?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Tyre
Better option other than raytrace for 3d motion tracked text? Or am I just doing something wrong?
on Mar 21, 2017 at 8:16:10 pm

Is there a better option for 3d motion tracking other than raytrace?

It takes forever to render out 20 second scene with 3d text motion tracked.

I have cuda enabled

What am I doing wrong

I have an i7 6700
16gb ddr4 2300 ram
Gtx1070-8gb ram
256gb nvme SSD for operating system
120gb SSD sata connected for scratch disk
1tb HDD for file storage

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Better option other than raytrace for 3d motion tracked text? Or am I just doing something wrong?
on Mar 22, 2017 at 2:21:44 pm

Yes, there IS a better option -- C4D Lite, which comes bundled with AE.
Adobe gave up on ray tracing a few versions back, and the slow rendering speed was the reason.

My work hasn't yet required me to do reflections so I haven't had a lot of experience with C4D.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Better option other than raytrace for 3d motion tracked text? Or am I just doing something wrong?
on Mar 22, 2017 at 2:58:34 pm

On a decent NVIDIA card, the ray-traced renderer should be somewhat decent.

What version of AE are you using?
What are your ray-traced settings for the GPU? Do you have "use unsupported cards" checked?

If you are on CC 2017.1 and that box is checked, you may need to swap out the Optix library on your machine.

Rename the OptiX.1.dll from the After Effects program directory to Optix_old.1.dll (that way you can put it back to normal if you need to). This is typically the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2017\Support Files directory.
Then install the latest version of OptiX from the NVIDIA website (https://developer.nvidia.com/optix ).
After doing these two steps, the ray tracing functionality in After Effects should be functional.
As an aside, after removal of the OptiX dll from the After Effects directory the CPU ray tracing support will not work, but that was a pointless feature anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]