FORUMS: list search recent posts

I'm looking to speed up my render speed, which option would be best for me?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff Chan
I'm looking to speed up my render speed, which option would be best for me?
on Mar 19, 2017 at 4:08:16 pm

The final output of the content I am creating is 5.4k x 2.7k resolution at 60 fps. The composition consists of two to four 4k 30 fps video files, 5.4k x 2.7k still images, a good amount of filters and effects like keylight, key cleaner, and advance spill suppressor, and is frame interpolated from 30 to 60 fps. Render time on my rig (i7-5820k, 32GB memory, 970 GTX) is about 3.5 to 4 hours for one minute of footage. A bulk of the render time is caused by frame interpolation, which is absolutely necessary for what I'm doing.

To speed up my render times I was considering either building a new rig (budget $2500) to use in conjunction with my old rig and BG Renderer. or buy 5-6 used Xeon E5-1620/E5-1650 workstations to use with aerender. I figured the E5-1620 workstations would be the best route since it has a higher clock speed and single core performance than the 1650. Would I need to install a dedicated graphics card on the workstations?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: I'm looking to speed up my render speed, which option would be best for me?
on Mar 19, 2017 at 4:39:55 pm

You're doing a lot of computationally-intense stuff. The estmated render time sounds about right.

Just before bedtime, hit the render button. Wake up to a completed render. People do it all the time.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Geoff Chan
on Mar 19, 2017 at 4:52:07 pm

Ha, I wish it was that simple. My videos are about 30-45 minutes long so it's more like hit render and come back a week later. I'm trying to get it down to 15 minute render times for 1 minute of footage.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 19, 2017 at 7:21:40 pm

15 minutes? Dream on.

It's now time for the AE CC 2017 painstaking and time-consuming diagnostic process. You are required to give us certain information if we are to solve your particular problem. Despite what the Marketing Weasels say, AE is very, very far from bulletproof. The info you need to surrender:
PRECISE version numbers of OS & AE. "The latest one" DOES NOT constitute a valid answer.
Types of processors
Amount of memory & storage
Third-party cards and their PRECISE driver numbers
ALL effects being used
All third-party plugins being used

That'll do for starters. If you think this is a bit extreme, I invite you to send a less-than-friendly note to Adobe for abrogating their responsibility for purveying software that FAILS undermany common circumstances.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 19, 2017 at 8:01:32 pm

Oh, PS.....
Expect many clarifying questions. if you thought this would fast & straightforward, you're mistaken. Another reason to give a big "thank you" to Adobe.

BTW: I'm a lousy diagnostician. I have people who solve my software woes for me.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]