FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to move without moving

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby Mesozoic
How to move without moving
on Mar 18, 2017 at 12:15:48 pm

I'm quite the after effects beginner but as i learn and progress i get ideas i know are possible but i just dont know enough about this extensive program to make it happen.

I have a shape a circle let's say in the middle of the screen....i have some effects that give trails to the shape if it moves....whatever direction it goes a fading trail will be made behind the shape....the shape must change it's position parameters and this is seen as movement on the screen.

How can I make the circle stay in one spot but keep it's movement without seeing that it's moving....as though the circle was connected to the end of the camera and you are just moving the camera...I'm going to assume this is part of the camera feature but that's one of the areas I have the least experience with.

Could someone point me in the right direction for information on how to achieve this?

Thank you very much, always grateful for replies here

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How to move without moving
on Mar 18, 2017 at 6:42:11 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 18, 2017 at 6:42:42 pm

You're describing the Echo effect, it works in 2D (no camera), And it requires the layer to actually MOVE by key framing the position property. Check it out & see how it works -- you'll have to.

Why? Because you're going to have to fake it with multiple layers if you want 3D and no change in layer position.

Regards,
Dave Paleozoic
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bobby Mesozoic
on Mar 19, 2017 at 9:50:05 am

I think i get a little bit of what you're saying but im lost on how to go about doing that keyframing without there being noticeable movement....

Return to posts index

Bobby Mesozoic
on Mar 19, 2017 at 9:54:54 am

btw im using sapphire > time > trails as my effect....so with that effect like i mentioned above......are you speaking about literally the echo effect in AE?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 19, 2017 at 3:06:17 pm

The two are basically the same. The Sapphire version may have more parameters to tweak, but that's the only fundamental difference.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Bobby Mesozoic
on Mar 19, 2017 at 4:45:32 pm

im no further in understanding how to make an object move while the camera follows it so it appears like it's not moving...if u could point me to a tutorial that would be great

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 20, 2017 at 12:44:13 am

That's because there will be no tutorial for it.

The camera moves. The layer doesn't. Sure, it may move against the background but you stipulated NO MOVEMENT.

So tell me , Einstein, how do you move something that you just said should not move?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Mar 20, 2017 at 8:14:32 pm

Hi Bobby, this isn't perfect but is this the general idea of what you are trying to achieve?

With your 3D layer selected Layer/Transform/Auto-Orient/Orient Towards Camera

Select the camera's Point of Interest and (holding down Alt) click on its stopwatch - an expression will appear - use the pickwhip and drag it to Position of your layer.

The layer itself will now move but the shape will appear to stay in the same position (though with some distortion when it moves in the Y).

Is that it?

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Mar 21, 2017 at 2:20:45 am

Knew there must be a a better way - not using camera:

Keep the layer 2D and pre-compose it. In the precomposition select Position so all keyframes are highlighted, move to the first keyframe and press Ctrl(Command)+C to copy.

In the main comp, with the precomp selected, press Ctrl+V to paste the keyframes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]