FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects CC (2014) - manually set Fast Draft resolution ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Morrow
After Effects CC (2014) - manually set Fast Draft resolution ?
on Mar 15, 2017 at 12:20:44 pm

I'm trying to use Fast Draft in AE CC 2014 to speed up interacting with compositions, and it certainly feels more responsive when scrubbing or dragging layers around than when I'm just in "Final Quality" - but it also instantly causes the layers to become very low-res. (probably 1/4 or 1/8th of their full res)
(I'm not talking about "Adaptive Resolution" which I know can be set in preferences, and has no effect on this behavior. I'm talking about Fast Draft specifically.)

Is there any setting anywhere to control Fast Draft's default resolution, so I can force it to stay at full res, or say, no less than half res? I'm sure even staying at full res, it would still be a big performance boost over the other modes, since, if I understand correctly, Fast Draft uses the GPU to draw the layers, the way the "OpenGL" mode used to in older AE versions. So if that's correct, even if it wasn't downrezing on the fly, it would be a lot smoother than the CPU doing the work. I also have plenty of video memory (Titan X pascal with 12GB) and these layers aren't huge (720p and 1080p) so if I could force it to keep them full res they would still fit in video memory easily.

Is there a setting for this somewhere I'm not seeing?
If not, is there a value that can be manually edited somewhere behind the scenes? Understanding that might not be officially supported?
This is on Windows 7x64.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: After Effects CC (2014) - manually set Fast Draft resolution ?
on Mar 15, 2017 at 3:40:38 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 15, 2017 at 3:44:08 pm

Nope. Sorry. When you alter an AE layer, the application re-renders every time you move the timeline cursor. People who work in AE get used to this. Putting it another way: you HAVE to get used to it.

You can speed it up by working at 50% size, half-resolution, soloing layers, delineating an Area of Interest, etc.

I'll also assume you know well enough to keep memory & caches purged on a regular basis.

After Effects -- it's not an application, it's an adventure! Ain't it fun?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: After Effects CC (2014) - manually set Fast Draft resolution ?
on Mar 15, 2017 at 6:54:26 pm

For what it's worth, I've found interactivity greatly improved in CC 2017. Remember, if you click the "Advanced Options" while installing CC 2017, you can uncheck the box to remove older versions. That way, you can try CC 2017, but your CC 2014 is undisturbed in case you need it for something (you can even save back to a version CC 2014 can use from CC 2017 very easily).

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]