FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thoughts on Character Animator?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Taylor
Thoughts on Character Animator?
on Mar 9, 2017 at 6:17:24 pm

It's been a couple years now since Character Animator first debuted. It's still in Beta, of course, but two years is a while. I learned today that the Simpsons used it for their live broadcast, which is a pretty strong endorsement.

Anyhow, I'm interested in anyone's experiences with it here. I've been considering learning more about it, but I'm wondering how it compares to animating in After Effects. Since I'm already reasonably fluent in AE I'd like to know how the learning curve is, what the advantages are, how well it plays with AE, and whether the results are good. Coming from a music recording paradigm, I've been interested in more live control (motion sketch is good, but only allows for one XY input at a time, and it's visually blind) and this seems like it might be really good. But I don't know how it works in practice or what its limitations are.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Thoughts on Character Animator?
on Mar 9, 2017 at 6:50:05 pm

I don't know of ANYBODY who's using it regularly outside of the people who do animation for the Simpsons and Steven Colbert.

And both of those groups have deep pockets, lots of influence, sufficient knowledge to rewrite code if necessary and time to get proficient.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]