FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using template for slide show

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mordy Gilden
Using template for slide show
on Mar 8, 2017 at 8:52:30 pm

I was asked to do make an engaging looking slide show to play on a projector at an event. I'm not an expert but I'm familiar with after effects (have used it for animation) and have made simple slide shows on my own, but I've never used a template before.

They found some templates and are asking if this would be easier/faster than making something on my own, but I'm nervous to buy the template and find out this is a royal pain to get working. Does anyone have experience with these sort of things? Is it a pain to use a template if you have varying amounts of pictures to plug in to each one? Or do you need to get a template with a specific amount of picture place holders? How much customization do you usually get (speed, size, etc)? I'm wondering if I'm going to regret buying it and wasting time trying to make it do what I want.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
Re: Using template for slide show
on Mar 8, 2017 at 10:05:57 pm

I've used many 'slideshow' templates. Depending of who creates them, and from what repository they were purchased from, I've have very good luck with them. Typically, the 'slideshow' type templates have placeholder graphics where you can simply 'Alt-drag' your photos onto to replace them, and you're good to go with very little, if any, manipulation on your part.

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Mordy Gilden
on Mar 8, 2017 at 10:40:45 pm

But what if I have different amounts of pictures vs what they have place holders for? And if pictures are different sizes/orientations?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 8, 2017 at 11:22:48 pm

What are the specifications of the file you're expected to deliver? Find that out first. It will answer quite a few questions for you.

How complicated a slideshow are you envisioning?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Mar 8, 2017 at 11:42:23 pm

Usually your placeholders are pre-comps, so you can easily scale and crop inside the pre-comp placeholder. As far as the number of pictures/number of placeholders, some of the templates I've used were designed to loop seamlessly. If your particular templates aren't designed this way, it shouldn't be much of a stretch for someone with AE knowledge to make it loopable.

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]