FORUMS: list search recent posts

Youth Hockey Videos

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua Whitman
Youth Hockey Videos
on Mar 6, 2017 at 4:45:37 pm

My apologies in-advance, but my novice level of understanding has made searching for similar posts difficult.

I'm currently producing highlight videos from my son's youth hockey games.

I'm looking for a way to speed up my workflow and this is what I'm currently doing:

The games are recorded using two YI 4K Action Cameras, one at each end of the ice.

I import that 4K footage into Premiere and use the multi-camera feature to create a sequence that cuts back-and-forth to each camera depending on which end of the ice the action is taking place.

I then import that multi-camera sequence into an After Effects project using the Adobe Dynamic Link feature.

I then watch the footage in AE, adding markers to the various layers that control the clock, shots-on-goal, score, power play overlays, etc...

I then remove the footage from the AE composition, and import that composition into Premiere. I combine it with the footage and then go about adding any slow-motion replays that I need.

I then export the final sequence to Media Encoder.

My problem is with watching the footage in AE. It is very time consuming because the RAM previewing the slow. I've tried lower the resolution and skipping frames, but it's still not as fast as I think it good be.

I understand AE and Premier do not work that same with regards to watching footage, but I'm looking for a possible solution to speed up this process.

One idea I had is to render the multi-cam footage in a temp format that speeds up the viewing in AE and then delete the temp footage when the game is complete.

I'm not sure if this is a smart solution and if so, what format would be best to use for optimal viewing AE.

My current system is:

Windows 10
Adobe After Effects CC -- 14.1.0.57
Adobe Premiere CC -- 11.0.2 (47) build

GeForce GT 640 video card
AMD FX 8320 Processor
32 GB of memory
Samsung 850 SSD for OS & Adobe Cache
Toshiba HDWE150 5GB HHD for footage

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Youth Hockey Videos
on Mar 6, 2017 at 5:27:32 pm

I haven't tried this, but it might work: make those markers in PP where you watch stuff just by hitting the space bar, and you don't have to preview.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joshua Whitman
on Mar 7, 2017 at 12:16:38 pm

I'm certain that in the past I tested to see if markers in Premiere came over to After Effects and found that they didn't. But, I just tried it again and they do. Thank you for this suggestion, I'm going to try it for the next game I do.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Mar 6, 2017 at 6:47:55 pm

if you are just updating text in after effects comps, you can likely do that in premiere... I'm not sure which version of AE/PP you are using, but the last several versions allow you to create text templates in after effects that can be imported and edited in premiere.

i think it might work for the scores and shots. I'm not sure about what needs to update for the power play, but if it is only text, then that might work. the clock could just be a comp that starts counting, you'd then need to utilize a freeze-frame (or similar) in premiere to make it hold if the clock stops at any point.

here's a link to the basic process to see if you might be able to make it work for your needs:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/how-to/animated-text-titles-live-text....

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Joshua Whitman
on Mar 6, 2017 at 6:55:36 pm

I used to use text templates, but found them cumbersome. It didn't seem like you can add key frames where the text changes. I was creating a copy of the template every time the score/shots on goal changes. With AE, while I'm watching the footage, I just add a marker to the layer control for each element as they change. It is much easier and more straight forward.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]