FORUMS: list search recent posts

Composite Effects Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Javan Hamilton
Composite Effects Question
on Mar 5, 2017 at 8:46:00 pm

Hello. I'm in the home stretch of a design for a client's local talk show. For this part of the intro, I've come up with something inspired by an old "Jeopardy!" design I came across.

My question is: how do I go about getting this glowing effect (the blue noise and light)?

Here's what I have myself:

I've started with my 3D imagery with HDRI reflections, similar to the concepts above. But how do I go about getting such detail as in the two concepts? I've tried adding glow and going through blend modes, but none of that seemed to be it--it didn't give me that noise, color and gradient I'm looking for.

*I'm also wondering if I'm having to add flares to my lights in C4D, then composite those in AE as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Composite Effects Question
on Mar 7, 2017 at 4:38:15 pm

I take it you want something in the first two grabs to show up as reflections in the chrome text. Perhaps you even want it to look photorealistic.

You're best off doing that in the 3D application.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 7, 2017 at 4:38:56 pm

Starglow from the Trapcode Suite might get you some glimmers like what you want.
You also can get lens flares from highlights in footage with either Optical Flares from Video Copilot or Knoll Light Factory from Red Giant. Red Giant Universe also has some glows and such that might be helpful.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Javan Hamilton
on Mar 7, 2017 at 9:29:13 pm

Thanks for the responses. After some experimentation (and YouTube), I realized that it's all in the passes. This ended up being my very first true multi-pass render. I updated my design and it came out really well.

Upon further inspection of those stills, it's 3D of blue iridescent tiles with the Jeopardy! logo reflected, all probably in a black background. Then a glow was added to one of the passes, and the *real* magic came from the lens flares. Sounds pretty easy.

What I'm forgetting is that these are just concept stills, and the final products are usually VERY different. At this stage of the game, I might even try to recreate it.

Thanks again.

--JAVAN H.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]