FORUMS: list search recent posts

what effect should i use to reproduce this visual (make highlights glow parallel rays) ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Fya
what effect should i use to reproduce this visual (make highlights glow parallel rays) ?
on Feb 27, 2017 at 5:24:16 pm

Hi Guys,

I have this shot where the tubes are spinning around her.

I want it to look like laser saber from star wars. Like this

I create the shot above in FCPX using the "streaks" effect. But for some reason, it does not apply on the 5th tube. I tried to match the color and luminance of that 5th tube to the others before applying the effect, but I does not work. Didn't figure out why. It does not work even if I try do it only on the 5th tube by keying or so ... So in FCPX I cannot get that last tube glow which is annoying.

So I would like to do it in After Effects, but I have no clue what effect can I use to make the highlights glow parallel rays at an angle I can set so they are parallel to the tubes and can hide the tape & the hanging wires at the same time.

Here the angle is random so you can see what I mean

I gave it a shot at the Glow effect, Trapcode Shine, Trapcode Starglow, but unsucessfully.

Do you have an idea ?

Thank you so much !

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: what effect should i use to reproduce this visual (make highlights glow parallel rays) ?
on Feb 27, 2017 at 6:08:09 pm

Check out the Beam Effect. It should do what you need.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ron Fya
Re: what effect should i use to reproduce this visual (make highlights glow parallel rays) ?
on Feb 27, 2017 at 7:02:27 pm

Thank you Dave,

But actually beam is a generator. It generates a beam entirely from scratch. It is not enhancing the already existing highlights in the image.

Using beam (or better: video copilot's saber) I need to mask & track to get behind her.

I want a quicker solution by not having to do that and generate streaks from already existing highlights.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 27, 2017 at 7:09:49 pm

Good luck.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Feb 27, 2017 at 7:25:09 pm

the glow effect should get you pretty close to what you have in fcpx, just tweak the threshold, radius and intensity settings and you should pick up all the light bars.

it won't get rig of the cords and tape, although it might lessen them to some degree.

you may be able to key the light bars out and then effect that to better hide the cords and lights, then re-composite them back onto the original footage, but you'll need to do some garbage masking prior to keying.

if that doesn't work, your probably looking at rotoscoping... at which point beam or saber may be the better option.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]