FORUMS: list search recent posts

Type on text bullet list and

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ocean Byrne
Type on text bullet list and
on Feb 25, 2017 at 9:19:30 am

I really dig AE's text system, but I'm hoping there is an easier way to get what I want.

I have an effect set up that reveals my texts character by character, and the leading 1-4 characters are a hot color that fades to a final cool color once it is revealed. I like it pretty well for single titles or labels.

But now I want to do some bullet lists, and a couple sentences where it types out the first words, then waits a few, than types out a few more words...
The problem is the effect is already starting to reveal the characters of the 2nd bullet before it has finished the 1st bullet. Is there a way to have it reveal by character, but wait to start the next line?

I've started doing it by having a different text layer for each bullet, but I'd much rather have all the text on one layer if possible.

Any tips would be appreciated...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Type on text bullet list and
on Feb 25, 2017 at 6:00:20 pm

You're keyframing a text animator using the typewriter preset, correct? It will behave just like any other keyframed property. This means you can use hold keyframes when you want the effect to pause. Through careful -- but not difficult -- keyframing, you can time out the effect to your taste.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ocean Byrne
on Feb 25, 2017 at 7:03:18 pm

As usual Dave, I like the way you're thinking... the problem is my fade from a "hot" impact leading edge to "cool" text - by the time my 1st bullet is all the way up and cool, the 2nd bullet is already begun hot.

For now I've precomped one smooth animation revealing all the text, and then am using masks and duplicates to adjust the timing. Works I guess, but mayhaps someone out there knows a secret way...?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 27, 2017 at 6:55:23 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Feb 27, 2017 at 6:56:06 pm

You may have to animate the bullets separately to get the color change you want.

If I were doing it, I'd go about it this way:
  • Create the entire bullet-pointed list, with all characters including bullets in the ending color, on one text layer. Make darned sure everything's right to avoid having to make annoying changes to kerning, spacing, etc. later.
  • Duplicate the text layer & precompose the dupe.
  • In the precomp, change the text color to the STARTING color.
  • In the main comp, Mask out everything in the precomp except for the first bullet.

Then I'd be able to animate the typewriter effect using strategically-placed hold keyframes, AND control the animation of the bullets to remove the starting color in whatever fashion I chose.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]