FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to apply an effect in Element 3D on separated objects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Fariecci
How to apply an effect in Element 3D on separated objects?
on Feb 21, 2017 at 11:32:37 am

Hi.

I'm trying to apply a glow effect on a separate 3D object in Element3D, which is on a separate group. Is it possible to do that? Thank you.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: How to apply an effect in Element 3D on separated objects?
on Feb 21, 2017 at 12:56:03 pm

If you can't use Element 3d's own glow material settings, you can duplicate the layer and create a luma matte by changing all materials you want to glow to white and the rest to black.

Use this a luma matte that you can precompose along with another instance of your "beauty" layer to add a glow effect.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Fariecci
on Feb 21, 2017 at 2:10:22 pm

Thanks Cassius.

Well that's the thing, I've cranked up the glow's setting inside Element3D all the way to the it's max value but it seems like it doesn't make any difference for some reason.

As for the second part can you please be more specific, I don't really understand this bit "create a luma matte by changing all materials you want to glow to white and the rest to black." If you can walk me through in steps like 1, 2, 3... I would really appreciate that. Basically all I'm trying to do is an afterburn which sits inside the exhaust and sticks to in the same position regardless if I change the camera angle or the position of the aircraft itself. I've managed to parent the object of the second group (the orange circle) to the aircraft, but because that exhaust is rigged and has a separate animation, when I try to animate the exhaust it moves independently from the orange circle (afterburn). If you have a better idea on how to achieve this is more than welcomed. Below is an example of how I'd like to look, it should be right in the preview of this vid.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Feb 21, 2017 at 8:59:13 pm
Last Edited By Cassius Marques on Feb 21, 2017 at 9:07:27 pm

edit: Did you enabled glow in the "render settings" part of the plugin?

I'll try to go in a more step by step explanation.

Assuming you've got a layer with Element 3d applied plus I assume some nulls controlling the movement of the model.

1- Duplicate this E3d layer 2 times.
2- Go to the topmost layer, enter E3D settings. Create two materials. Set the first one's difuse color to white go to the illumination settings and check "use difuse color" and turn up intensity to 100%. Do the same thing to the second material but set the difuse color to black.
3- Apply the black material to everything. Apply white to what you want to glow. (essentially we will create a moving mask/matte).
4- Now exit the settings and set the middle e3d layer's track matte to luma matte.
5- Precompose those two layers (the topmost and the middle).
6- Apply glow (to the precomposition).

If things change position during step 5. You'll have to duplicate the controllers and cameras to the precomposition.

Return to posts index

Andrew Fariecci
on Feb 27, 2017 at 3:49:23 pm

UPDATE

Hi Cassius,

Thank you for your tips. I got it now, it wasn't that complicated as I thought it would be once I got my head around it and thanks to your step by step explanation.
Although I found a different method. Regarding the "Glow" effect inside Element, you were right, I thought it comes enabled by default, I didn't realised there are extra settings under the "Render settings" submenu, so I was only changing settings inside the Scene setup.
I found out that Element has it's own World Position Pass which can be set on a different layer. It wasn't 100% accurate for me when I used it with Particular, as on a 360 rotation I was getting some artefacts where the 3d model was interacting with the particles. I guess with Element is more about creating an illusion rather than a simulation.

Here's the tutorial for Element's World Position Pass for anyone who wants to know more about this feature
Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]