FORUMS: list search recent posts

Filming to Track and Replace in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
C. Blake Davis
Filming to Track and Replace in After Effects
on Feb 17, 2017 at 8:31:48 pm

Hey all! I so appreciate all the brilliant minds here. Ya'll have saved my butt many times.

I have a client who wants me to film some students holding boards with the intent of replacing the board with footage / images.

To my understanding the best way to do this is to put bit X's with bright tape on the board so I can track those later in After Effects.

Is this the best method? Any advice or tips for filming this and adding it in AE?

Thanks so much!

Producer working in NorCal and Nashville

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Filming to Track and Replace in After Effects
on Feb 17, 2017 at 9:08:39 pm

Here's what I'd do -- I'd run a test.

It shouldn't be necessary to put tracking markers on the signs. Why? There are really good planar trackers like Mocha, which comes with AE. It should be able to track signs with no problem.

But Mocha's not the most intuitive tool in the box. You need to run Mocha tutorials -- the good ones from the software developer (Imagineer, I think). I'd shoot someone -- ANYONE -- holding a sign, doing what they'd do when you shoot for real, and using the same camera you'd use for the shoot if possible. Then you can import the shot into AE, and play around with Mocha to get a feel for it.

Having done that, you can go into the shoot with full confidence you can pull off the effect. And wouldn't that be nice to know?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

C. Blake Davis
on Feb 17, 2017 at 11:24:11 pm

I definitely will be running a test, just curious what the best method to do so would be. So you think I should just use a board and mocha?

Producer working in NorCal and Nashville

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 17, 2017 at 11:58:35 pm

Indeed I do. Use Mocha. Go to the Imagineer web site and find the training tutorials for the version you'll be using. I don't think you'll be disappointed by its performance.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]