FORUMS: list search recent posts

Controlling how vertices animate when copying keyframes between paths

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Burrough
Controlling how vertices animate when copying keyframes between paths
on Feb 15, 2017 at 11:25:09 am

Hi everyone, I have done some digging and can't seem to find an answer to this issue which I keep running into when animating paths.

I am trying to animate a square shape from a flat top down view to an isometric view. I have created both states in illustrator and am attempting to copy the keyframes from the corresponding shape paths in the isometric state to the shape paths in the top down flat state.

The problem is some of the shapes' vertices move to the wrong points meaning the effect doesn't work (it instead looks like the shape is twisting). Is there any way to control where/how the vertices move when copying keyframes from one shape layer to another other than to move them manually? (The aim is to animate a much more complex shape therefore I'm trying to automate the tweens as much as possible)

The other issue is that the shapes move out of alignment after the transition, any tips on how to deal with this?

Any help hugely appreciated!

Here is a quick test to illustrate the issue, and an image of the final image to be animated:

“To country people Cows are mild,
And flee from any stick they throw;
But I’m a timid town bred child,
And all the cattle seem to know.”

Return to posts index

Ken Teutsch
Re: Controlling how vertices animate when copying keyframes between paths
on Feb 15, 2017 at 2:20:20 pm

Is there any reason you can't pre-compose the layers, make the new precomp 3D and then just rotate it in 3D space?

Return to posts index

Sam Burrough
on Feb 15, 2017 at 4:18:46 pm

Good point, I can also just apply a shear scale and rotate, sorry had mind melt this morning!

There are occasions where controlling how the vertices behave when copying keyframes from one path to another would be useful however, is there a way of doing this?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ken Teutsch
on Feb 15, 2017 at 10:20:03 pm

I'm no mask/shape expert (though there are some on this forum) ...I just know animating them can be tricky, especially the parametric shapes, which do weird things.

You might take a look at this script: http://aescripts.com/bao-mask-avenger/

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 15, 2017 at 10:32:57 pm

You'd need a script that controls individual mask vertices. They're available.

If you make just a couple of mask path keyframes, remember that the whole mask takes the same time to move. Vertices that are farther away than others move faster, and vertices that are closer move slower... resulting in screwy motion if you hope to maintain visually-unchanging perspectives.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sam Burrough
on Feb 24, 2017 at 2:49:50 pm

Hi guys, I found another solution to the issue of controlling how vertices behave when animating paths without the use of a plugin (the bao plugin looks awesome but a bit of an investment at $149) so I just thought I'd post back here as I was unaware of this command and it may be helpful to others with the same query...

I found this tutorial about animating font weight using shape layers and he overcomes the weird vertices behaviour using the 'set first vertex' command (layer / mask and shape path / set first vertex)

Thanks again for all the responses!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]