FORUMS: list search recent posts

Continuously Rasterize a 3D layer with vector graphics inside

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier Bonet
Continuously Rasterize a 3D layer with vector graphics inside
on Feb 13, 2017 at 3:10:25 pm
Last Edited By Xavier Bonet on Feb 13, 2017 at 3:11:29 pm

I've a rigged character composed of shapes inside its own comp, which I made rather large, in order to have options to play around later, as I'm animating the character into a "3D" environment (that is, 3D-emulation in AE). The thing is that I've come to a point where I need to make camera zoom real tight into the character to the point where I start to get some pixelation... The issue is that I can't toggle the Continuously Rasterize function because, as you know, it breaks the 3D layer (turns it into 2D), and I can't resize the comp and/or the puppet inside the comp because that breaks the Puppet effect, as you might also know... and everything simply go haywire! So I seem to be between a rock and a hard place here... I have no time to remake a bigger version of the rigged character, as it's a pretty complicated rig, but I can't animate as is because the edges get pretty ragged and it looks awful.

So here's hoping someone knows how I can get AE to rasterize this layer with bigger sample or continue rasterizing even though it's 3D layer, because in theory there shouldn't be a problem, due to the fact that what's inside is only vector graphics. Or maybe there's a workaround... Or, at this point, I'm basically looking for some advice as to how I should proceed.

Thanks a million in advance! 😊

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Continuously Rasterize a 3D layer with vector graphics inside
on Feb 13, 2017 at 3:21:36 pm

I'm afraid you're going to have to redo some stuff. BUT only for the section where you need to be zoomed in!. You need to scale it up with the continuously rasterize checked, precompose (moving all attributes), and then do puppet pin animations on the resulting, now larger, comp.

Sorry. :(

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 13, 2017 at 3:36:11 pm

[Xavier Bonet] "...I seem to be between a rock and a hard place here... I have no time to remake a bigger version of the rigged character, as it's a pretty complicated rig, but I can't animate as is because the edges get pretty ragged and it looks awful."

You're not going to like this. You ARE stuck. Continuously Rasterize won't work. You have to re-make the character with the extreme zoom even bigger than now, but you don't have to re-do the whole thing. Just the part of the animation where you're zoomed way in.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Xavier Bonet
on Feb 13, 2017 at 3:53:13 pm

This is indeed a sad, sad day for me... 😪

Thanks a lot for both your responses, guys. I'm afraid it's one of those instances where you know what the answer is but you don't want to accept to is...

Now, when you both say only for the part where it's zoomed, what exactly do you mean? Because the re-rigging of the puppet is what'll take me ages, and be it for the entire project or just for that segment, the re-rigging will be the same... unless I'm missing something.

This is what I'm thinking of doing to make my life a lot easier: The zoom has to be somewhat fast anyway (it's a zoom into the character's chest, whereupon and x-ray view will open up and we'll see the heart beating... yes, I know! where do I get these unique ideas never before been used in the history of cinema? ...) anyway, I'll make it as fast as possible so as to hide the fact that I'm going to fade in onto my character's torso a 3D-shape-layer version of the same torso, which I've managed to set up as close as possible to the real pre-comp'd one. So it'll be a fade-in, fade-out sort of thing and, hopefully, in the end no one will notice. 😶

Thanks again, as always, for taking the time to answer!

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Feb 13, 2017 at 4:12:50 pm

You can increase the resolution without the need to re-rig. Just precompose, double the resolution then scale the precomp back to 50%. (for everypart you have rigged). I do this all the time.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Feb 14, 2017 at 3:51:16 pm

IF its a 2d character can you just keep him 2d in the 3d enviroment. that way you could just scale him rather than make him 3d.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]