FORUMS: list search recent posts

An embarrassingly easy question... I think. Masks and rotation?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Estabrooks
An embarrassingly easy question... I think. Masks and rotation?
on Feb 8, 2017 at 5:56:51 pm

Apparently my brain is fried.... because I believe this should of been easy....

-I've got two pngs. A green leaf and a brown leaf.
-I want to place the green leaf on the left side, bisected by the brown leaf on the right side. So half a GREEN leaf on the left and half a BROWN leaf on the right.
- Then I want the bisection to spin around from the centre in a clockwise motion, so that the green and brown replacing it self along the central pivot, but I don't want the jpg layers to move. I want them to stay in place.
- I thought the obvious way to do this would be to mask our half of each of the respective jpgs, and then parent the mask to a null object that I make spin at the speed I want.
- But since I can't parrent just the mask, the jpg layers end up spinning around this central point... but not the mask as I want.
- So I thought, okay, i'll just keyframe the mask paths to spin around an anchor point and then free transform rotate the mask. But everytime I free transform, it resets the mask anchor point I've set in the previous keyframe, so it's near impossible to get it too look smooth and profesh.
- I've come up with a temporary work around by nesting radial wipes of each jpg, but it's not exactly what I was hoping for.
- BUT THERES GOTTA BE AN EASIER WAY RIGHT?

Nate

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: An embarrassingly easy question... I think. Masks and rotation?
on Feb 8, 2017 at 6:31:20 pm

it might help to see a screen shot of what you have, but i think i understand what you are trying to do, so try this and see if it does what you need...

i think you could do this with track mattes. so create a solid or rectangular shape layer that is big enough to mask the entire leaf no matter how it is rotated. position the matte layer so that an edge bisects one of the leaves. with that matte layer above one of the leaves (in layer order), select the leaf below the matte and, from the TrkMat pulldown menu select 'alpha matte'.

you should now see half that leaf.

duplicate the matte layer and move it above the other leaf. then, from the TrkMat menu of that leaf, choose 'alpha inverted' for the track matte.

you should have a half brown/half green leaf.

to rotate the mattes, add a null and position it along the bisect line of the leaf at a point where you want the colors (or mattes) to pivot. then parent the matte layers to the null and rotate the null.

does that do what you are looking for?

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Nathan Estabrooks
Re: An embarrassingly easy question... I think. Masks and rotation?
on Feb 9, 2017 at 1:20:02 am

Wow. Yes. That's exactly what I was trying to do. Thanks a million!

Nate

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]