FORUMS: list search recent posts

repeating the same sound in the same keyframe

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Tkachuck
repeating the same sound in the same keyframe
on Feb 6, 2017 at 8:23:11 pm

I want to have the same sound (1-2 seconds in length) repeated at different erratic intervals to fit with the illustrated action. (Might be a gunshot, door slam, bird tweet, whatever). I can make this work with individual key frames for each sound, but this take up a lot of real estate on my work space if the sound is repeated, say, 10 times or so. Can I stimulate this action using one keyframe? Would rather not continually edit a single audio file, but rather insert multiple copies of the same sound put into one key frame. ( I did not know how to search for this in the archives. How might I have done this. Don't want to be a newbie and clutter the list space.)
Richard

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: repeating the same sound in the same keyframe
on Feb 6, 2017 at 11:08:58 pm

Do you NEED the sound effect in AE for frame-accurate timing purposes?
Do you just want to add the sound effects in AE and be done with it?

If your answers are "no" and "yes", know this: AE SUCKS at audio. Really stinks the joint up.

I'd just render out the video, and add the sound effects in Premiere Pro where it's dead simple to move sound effects clips, do fades, tweak levels, get a good mix and export.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: repeating the same sound in the same keyframe
on Feb 6, 2017 at 11:16:16 pm

if you are looking to repeat a sound within the same audio layer, you could use time remapping to repeat it, and you could trigger that repeat with a layer marker....

enable time remapping for the audio layer, and try this expression for time remap:
n = 0;
if ( marker.numKeys > 0 ) {
n = marker.nearestKey( time ).index;
if ( marker.key( n ).time > time ) {
n--;
}
}

if ( n == 0 ) {
0;
} else {
time - marker.key( n ).time;
}

then add some layer markers to that layer when you want to trigger the sound.

if you wanted to try and go further, i think you could have an audio pre-comp with many sounds in it (each butted front-to-end) and then a layer that would have named markers (like gun shot, bird chirp, etc.) for the start of each sound.

then you could bring that audio comp into the main comp, enable time remapping and use a more complicated expression (found here at motionscript.com), then add a marker with the name of the sound that you want to trigger (guns shot, bird chirp, etc.) when you want the sound to play....

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]